• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

50Shades of Birch

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

iam new to gunsmithing exept for chopping down shotgun barrels and drilling/tapping receivers. Is it just twist rate that matters for stabilisation of could a longer barrel work? iam thinking it might be possible on the lathe to open up a 22lr to 22wmr? Having such a hard time finding a rimfire in a legal hunting caliber for a price iam willing to pay for a niche rifle il only use in august and februari, (when deer season is open il be carrying a big rifle fulltime, iam an opportunist) but 22lr rifles go for as low as 30 euro for a baikal or 60 for a sako. The paperwork to change caliber is a hell of lot cheaper than a 22wmr rifle

iam new to gunsmithing exept for chopping down shotgun barrels and drilling/tapping receivers. Is it just twist rate that matters for stabilisation of could a longer barrel work? iam thinking it might be possible on the lathe to open up a 22lr to 22wmr? Having such a hard time finding a rimfire in a legal hunting caliber for a price iam willing to pay for a niche rifle il only use in august and februari, (when deer season is open il be carrying a big rifle fulltime, iam an opportunist) but 22lr rifles go for as low as 30 euro for a baikal or 60 for a sako. The paperwork to change caliber is a hell of lot cheaper than a 22wmr rifle
Your 22 LR magazine won't work with the 22 WMR. CZ & Sako both make rimfires that you can switch barrels/magazines on to change from LR to WMR. Wondering how the Finnish regulation/license rules apply to them? If you can't hunt with a 22 LR, looks like your best option is a 22 WMR, if the regs won't allow a switch barrel.

Your 22 LR magazine won't work with the 22 WMR. CZ & Sako both make rimfires that you can switch barrels/magazines on to change from LR to WMR. Wondering how the Finnish regulation/license rules apply to them? If you can't hunt with a 22 LR, looks like your best option is a 22 WMR, if the regs won't allow a switch barrel.
regulation allows it but the barrel counts as a second gun. Basically as soon as the barrel doesnt match the receiver anymore according to the original permit you have to relicense it as a new gun. Iam mostly after costsaving, accurate bit cheap little throw in the backpack 22wmr. So oam thinking a single shot 22lr for 40 euro or so, modify it to take 22wmr and submit it for a relicensing. with that total cost including paperwork would be about 200 euro, a 22wmr rifle costs 500-800 euro to start. And id love to Make a nice curly birch stock custom for it.

17 hmr is also very popular (modern) rimfire in Finland for small game. It is more accurate than 22 wmr

17 hmr is also very popular (modern) rimfire in Finland for small game. It is more accurate than 22 wmr
and the cheapest rifle i can find that is not a chiappa little badger is 600 euro. Otherwise id be all over it. I need somethong low budget before next hunting season so i can save up for something i really like in 17hmr, i figure om a break open rifle or single shot bolt gun it shouldnt be too difficult to open up a chamber a bit, but i dont know mutch about it. Iam just looking for a rimfire that Will take targets at 100m for under 300 euro. Going off topic again tho 🤣

Birch is some of my favorite wood, if finished right its like velvet. Whas curly birch ever used in stocks?

Loimukoivu was premium wood in Finland up to 60’ but then forein wood (walnut, mahogany etc) replaced it and it was forgotten untill now. It is fashion wood at the moment for example gitar manufacturers

Attachments

• A9154B06-5F28-49D3-9553-804F4255A4EA.jpeg
    A9154B06-5F28-49D3-9553-804F4255A4EA.jpeg
    155.7 KB · Views: 10
i almost bought a guitar like that last year from a finnish maker. Endes up with a ESP custom eclipse in 8 strings in the end. sometimes i regret not going with the birch guitar. Righr until i hit that droning low C 😂. Hopefully i can get me a nice birch stock some day. I feel it would be great wood for my pyy gun (sawed off double barrel) or a compact rimfire.

No birch now, but reasonable facsimile is Canadian black walnut.

Attachments

• 20240330_164510.jpg
    20240330_164510.jpg
    261.8 KB · Views: 11
  • 20240331_210709.jpg
    20240331_210709.jpg
    297.7 KB · Views: 11
No birch now, but reasonable facsimile is Canadian black walnut.
Had good Easter Weekend fun with my old friend Cecil and his bandsaw. 249.00 Can. Crotch walnut piece yielded 3 full-length Mannlicher-style stock blanks, a buttstock for a Remington.model 1900 side x side and a forend for my 1895 winchester in 7.62 x54R

Latest posts

Back