• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

Accuracy expectations mannlicher L61 30'06

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

late to the party, but i found fiocchi factory loads work well in the mannlicher, they are a slower bullet with a fast powder, barely any recoil compared to sako ammo or S&B and my mannlicher liked them when it it didnt rattle the stock Loose(it was broken and i traded it in for a regular l61r) also not alot of muzzle flash.

Fiocchi is the cheapest ammo we can get for a 30-06 in finland coincidentally and insidered cheap plinking ammo.

late to the party, but i found fiocchi factory loads work well in the mannlicher, they are a slower bullet with a fast powder, barely any recoil compared to sako ammo or S&B and my mannlicher liked them when it it didnt rattle the stock Loose(it was broken and i traded it in for a regular l61r) also not alot of muzzle flash.

Fiocchi is the cheapest ammo we can get for a 30-06 in finland coincidentally and insidered cheap plinking ammo.
What is the bullet type and weight of the Fiocchi ammunition you were shooting?

What is the bullet type and weight of the Fiocchi ammunition you were shooting?
150 grain lead points, but the 149gr fmj performed similar. Ironically the soft points are 0.89 a piece and the FMJ 0.99. not the best ammo in the world, had some fliers and my regular barrel l61r doesnt agree with them as mutch grouping about 3cm at 100m compared to the 5 shots 1 hole the sako range ammo can do. But in my mannlicher thet performed excelent and also liked the S&B 180gr FMJ, they have in common faster powder and lower velocity. I know its rifle specific but maybe its just a thing with the mannlichers.

the stock Loose(it was broken and i traded it in for a regular l61r)
So you traded your mannlicher for a standard L61r ?
I am sorry for you but I like far better the old standard L61r than the mannlichers.
And it does shoot good. 3cm @ 100 m is MOA. That is pretty good, at least for me.

Aside from that, the posts in this thread are great. The views posted are imposing. All of them.

And to top it off, Bucktote's story above is hilarious (if I understood well).

Very well rounded thread with technical stuff, wise advices towards safe hunting, great landscapes and a drop of humour.

I had a good time reading it.
Thx all

So you traded your mannlicher for a standard L61r ?
I am sorry for you but I like far better the old standard L61r than the mannlichers.
And it does shoot good. 3cm @ 100 m is MOA. That is pretty good, at least for me.

Aside from that, the posts in this thread are great. The views posted are imposing. All of them.

And to top it off, Bucktote's story above is hilarious (if I understood well).

Very well rounded thread with technical stuff, wise advices towards safe hunting, great landscapes and a drop of humour.

I had a good time reading it.
Thx all
my l61r shoots alot tighter. But i didnt have alot of choise, between the permit system and store policy it was the l61r or a mauser m66. I preferred how the mannlicher looked and they are surprisingly quite rare here. the whole story is elsewhere on the forum, but the otherwise great shop let a broken gun slip through the cracks and my permit only allowed a 30-06 and the stores policy is they fix or replace the gun, middle of huntig season i couldnt wait 6 months for their gunsmith to fix my only rifle.

Anyway, point was it seems the mannlichers shoot really well with a bit lower velocity and faster powder. At least from what i have seen. my l61r likes the sako ammo from my local shop wich are screaming fast 123gr full metal jackets.

150 grain lead points, but the 149gr fmj performed similar. Ironically the soft points are 0.89 a piece and the FMJ 0.99. not the best ammo in the world, had some fliers and my regular barrel l61r doesnt agree with them as mutch grouping about 3cm at 100m compared to the 5 shots 1 hole the sako range ammo can do. But in my mannlicher thet performed excelent and also liked the S&B 180gr FMJ, they have in common faster powder and lower velocity. I know its rifle specific but maybe its just a thing with the mannlichers.
Thanks for that excellent information. I am especially pleased that the Fiocchi not only performed well in the short barrel but gave less noise and muzzle blast than other loads. I will pick up a box and try it out. I have a handload formula that shoots consistent 1/2 MOA groups out of my .30-06 AIII Mannlicher carbine, but it would be nice to find a commercial loading that performs well. I had rather poor results with my carbine when I tried various brands of commercial ammo.

Thanks for that excellent information. I am especially pleased that the Fiocchi not only performed well in the short barrel but gave less noise and muzzle blast than other loads. I will pick up a box and try it out. I have a handload formula that shoots consistent 1/2 MOA groups out of my .30-06 AIII Mannlicher carbine, but it would be nice to find a commercial loading that performs well. I had rather poor results with my carbine when I tried various brands of commercial ammo.
i am not a great shot and shooting pretty mutch freehand but thats at 100m. i measured the group at 18mm including the little flyer on the right. Those airgun targets are tiny 😂 but for about 10 cents a piece i like to think "aim small mis small"

Attachments

• IMG-20240217-WA0002.jpeg
    IMG-20240217-WA0002.jpeg
    158.1 KB · Views: 7
i am not a great shot and shooting pretty mutch freehand but thats at 100m. i measured the group at 18mm including the little flyer on the right. Those airgun targets are tiny 😂 but for about 10 cents a piece i like to think "aim small mis small"
to clarify thats the mannlicher with fiocchi before the front stock completely flew off and it never grouped inside 60cm again unless i left the stock off 😂

this is 5 shots of the l61r but i had alot more practise and a sandbag rig so the mannlicher probably had that potential as well

Attachments

• IMG_20240321_143757_152.jpg
    IMG_20240321_143757_152.jpg
    147.1 KB · Views: 9
Oh happy day!finally got to the range.3 shot group with Sako mannlicher, Remington brass, WW 180gr flat based Power Point bullet, IMR 4350 Group well under an inch. I think I could get to like this 3 shot group thing.The taped hole was from another group/ rifle, I'm a cheap old retired rascal so I tape my targets till they are only good for kindling:D
qibO2Znl.jpg

Last edited:
Back