• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

A7 Anyone shooting 60 grain np 22-250?

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

bcshadow

Hi, I acquired a Sako A7 softtouch in 22-250 14 twist and would like to know of your practical experience with the a7 and the 60 grain nosler partition.

Thanks.

The 60 grain .224" Nosler Partition does just fine in a 1-14" twist. I've used it in both .222 Rem and .22-250.

Thanks Stonecreek. Ammo is becoming hard to find here in British Columbia and the 60 grain federal np looks like a great choice for cougar, wolf and deer. Pretty expensive though so I really appreciate hearing your feedback. From googling I learned it depends on the rifle as well as the twist. You shot it in an a7? Thanks

Cougar, wolf and deer?
A wounded deer might not kill you but the other two sure can. Not my go to caliber for those two. I'm sure it can be done, but?

No, just questioning your experience as a hunter. Do you head shoot everything?
And yes, I have several 22 centerfires. Not AR's either.

Not choosing sides and no disrespect, but a .22-250 is perfectly adequate for wolves or cougar. Neither are typically difficult to put down with a well placed shot. Both are thin skinned and fragile especially in the rib cage.

Most ranchers and folks I help who deal with wolves and cougars regularly use a .22 center fire. I carry a .233 Sako with 62 grain Barnes TSX, when quad riding on land where predation might occur. Obviously big game hunters who encounter either are typically armed with a larger center fire, but wouldn’t be necessary to dispatch either.

Last edited:
Cvcobra ....30+ years of hunting experience in British Columbia. Grizzly, black bear elk, moose, mule deer, whitetail deer, and yes wolves and cougar. By being very specific asking for experience with the a7 and 60 grain partitions I expected it would be read and deter those who don't. Please move on.

Not choosing sides and no disrespect, but a .22-250 is perfectly adequate for wolves or cougar. Neither are typically difficult to put down with a well placed shot. Both are thin skinned and fragile especially in the rib cage.

Most ranchers and folks I help who deal with wolves and cougars regularly use a .22 center fire. I carry a .233 Sako with 60 grain Barnes TSX, when quad riding on land where predation might occur. Obviously big game hunters who encounter either are typically armed with a larger center fire, but wouldn’t be necessary to dispatch either.

Thank you Sean. I have shot both and had great results. Just moving to the 60 grain np as long as it stabilizes as I have a pacemaker now and want to minimize recoil.

From googling I learned it depends on the rifle as well as the twist. You shot it in an a7?
Well, it is true that individual rifles may shoot more or less accurately with a given bullet, but this may be due to factors other than twist. One A7 (or L579 or Rem 700) in .22-250 may shoot a particular bullet better than another rifle which is otherwise identical. So no, regardless of whether the 60 grain Noslers I've used were shot through an A7 or some other rifle with a 1-14 twist I can only tell you that the twist is not an issue, not whether that particular bullet/load will shoot well in your particular rifle.

By the way, I've never hunted cougars and have only hunted (but not taken) wolves as a secondary species on a bear hunt. However, I would hardly be hesitant to shoot either with a .22-250, particularly since both are exceedingly shy of humans and incidents of either attacking humans is mostly the stuff of pulp magazine fantasies rather than a genuine threat to a hunter's life or limb.

Back