• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

Can anybody give me any info on this Aii?

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

mcguigs25

I purchased this Sako Aii in 243 yesterday. I don’t know much about them as they were primarily made before my time. I grew up hunting with my dad and his Sako in 7mm Rem. So, I always wanted one and got one. It is stamped Stoeger. Any other info? Anything is helpful. Thank you!
IMG_3935.jpeg IMG_3936.jpeg

That’s an AII Sako Classic. The unique quality is the straight comb classic stock style. Produced in smaller numbers. Probably 91-92. Nice little rifle. Welcome to the forum.

To add, Stoeger was the importer during this period.

Last edited:
That’s an AII Sako Classic. The unique quality is the straight comb classic stock style. Produced in smaller numbers. Probably 91-92. Nice little rifle. Welcome to the forum.

I was aware that Stoeger was the importer. I believe it was Garcia beforehand? I appreciate the response! Does the uniqueness of the stock add any value? I don’t think I’ll ever sell it, but I enjoy learning about them. I’m slowly trying to learn and become well versed.

I also noticed that a lot of stocks have a checkering that resembles a “W”, while mine resembles a “V.” I’m not sure if there’s other terminology. Does the checkering have any significance or is it just how it rolled out of the factory? Thank you again!

Below is probably the best information regarding the importation history.

The classic rifle may bring a small premium over a standard rifle, but it’s very subjective, most often any such premium relies on condition, caliber rarity, and quality/grain of the stock. The earlier classic rifles had full wrap checkering around the forearm. Your later rifle is two panel, I don’t recall exactly what it would be called.

I've seen that checkering pattern that resembles a V referred to on this forum as "two-point." Here is another Sako AII also in .243 Win. with the outside of the checkering pattern resembling a W that some have called "three point":
Qfl1TWJ.jpeg

This one is not a Classic and has a slightly different stock profile from yours. Of the two, I'd prefer the Classic. Since both rifles are AII-vintage Sakos, I don't know when or why the checkering patterns changed in this respect.

You have a very nice rifle there, mcguigs25. It's a nice lightweight .243 Win. (should weigh about 7 lbs. without the scope and mounts), and I believe you'll find it quite accurate. I think most of the AII sporters came with iron sights. Have irons been removed from yours?

Last edited:
Below is probably the best information regarding the importation history.

The classic rifle may bring a small premium over a standard rifle, but it’s very subjective, most often any such premium relies on condition, caliber rarity, and quality/grain of the stock. The earlier classic rifles had full wrap checkering around the forearm. Your later rifle is two panel, I don’t recall exactly what it would be called.

Thank you for the link. I appreciate your responses and help!

I've seen that checkering pattern that resembles a V referred to on this forum as "two-point." Here is another Sako AII also in .243 Win. with the outside of the checkering pattern resembling a W that some have called "three point":
Qfl1TWJ.jpeg

This one is not a Classic and has a slightly different stock profile from yours. Of the two, I'd prefer the Classic. Since both rifles are AII-vintage Sakos, I don't know when or why the checkering patterns changed in this respect.

You have a very nice rifle there, mcguigs25. It's a nice lightweight .243 Win. (should weigh about 7 lbs. without the scope and mounts), and I believe you'll find it quite accurate. I think most of the AII sporters came with iron sights. Have irons been removed from yours?
I do not believe there were any irons removed, although it is possible. The ole' girl has been in the safe since I took the pictures that I posted above. Now I will have to take a look when I get home from work. I did not notice anything on the barrel that would indicate that there ever were iron sights or that they were removed. Your rifle is a nice rifle itself, I believe I have one that is similar in my family's shop. I will have to take a look at the rack after I post this.

It is highly unlikely that your rifle ever had sights. The Classic was a limited production item, and I have never seen or heard of one with iron sights.

As far as value goes, a Classic should be good for more than a slight premium over a standard sporter, if a buyer can be found who knows what it is. I'd put value halfway between a standard grade and a Deluxe, with a higher value for really nice wood. I've seen Classics with high-grade wood go for more than a Deluxe with ordinary wood. The Classics typically show more attention to wood selection than Deluxes. Some of the Classics had fantastic wood, some were rather plain. .243 is a common caliber and the wood on that particular rifle has nice grain but is not highly figured. So, it's a desirable item but not something Sako collectors are going to go crazy over. '

Personally, I prefer the Classic grade to the Deluxe, but that is a personal eccentricity.

Latest posts

Back