• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

Ejection Issues Model 85 varmint

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

Update #2: I've had my Sako VLS .223 to the range four times since I changed the extractor spring and refined the extractor claw and, I'm happy to say, it's still ejecting spent cases perfectly. I am very happy with it now and my previous thoughts of selling it have passed. It is easily shooting MOA but I need to read cross winds a little better. I still haven't experimented with loads and projectile weights as I still have 55gn Hornady Varmint SP pills being pushed out of the barrel by a starting load of ADI AR2206H. My barrel has a 1 in 8 twist so I feel my current, and very pleasing, group size will only improve with a little load development.

I still 'scratch my head' wondering why Sako/Beretta couldn't have got the ejection of cases right in the first place. I know it is only a small percentage of rifles exhibiting this poor ejection trait but it seems so fixable.

Good to hear Gary. I must be extremely unlucky, just bought my second rifle model 75 varmint in 300 win mag. Guess what? Exactly the same problem. I thought the issue was only with the 85's.

Very sorry to read that Brock84, I hope you can sort it out. I didn't realise the model 75's could suffer from ejection problems too. Perhaps you have been very unlucky. Best of luck.

Hi all, I too have had the same issue with spent casings hitting the scope. Very disappointed. I'm new to shooting and this 85 hunter is my first ever rifle which I expected to be perfect seeing I spend over 3k for the set up. After reading about all the issues and realising berretta are not interested in fixing the problem I looked harder at it myself. I originally tried the tougher spring behind the claw but had no luck with that then I realized it was the clearance they have given between the bolt face and the ejector claw shoulder. I had .030" clearance between the face of the brass and the bolt when engaged in the clip. Berretta sent me a new claw but it was exactly the same so I made my own claw and reduced the clearance to only .002". It now ejects perfectly every time. I hope this helps and I'm sure you will all find an excessive clearance problem too. Not a 5 minute job but can be done. I will try post a photo of the change I made so you can see the difference. Good luck.
Brock84, you may have just solved a problem for many dissatisfied Model 85 owners.
Many are having the problem discribed with the long actions in chamberings such as 9.3x62.
You have your own machine shop ?
Might be worth considering making a run of extractors and putting them up for sale ?

Good job none the less.

Yes - agreed that this is an older thread - BUT - it is a sure bet that not all Sako 85 owners take their wonderfully accurate Sako rifles afield with full confidence. That's me for sure. Brock84 is the Sherlock Holmes in solving this ejection case. Many thanks to him for solving the problem - sharing the process - and including helpful pics. I am not capable of such a fix - can a gunsmith apply this solution with success. Updates welcome.

Hello all,
Just purchased a Sako 85 .223 varmint. I used about 50 rds of one brand without issue and then switched to a different brand and every shell hit the scope. Has anyone tried any type of deflector plate to change the path of the spent shell? I only bench shoot so I am not too concerned with the shells falling back into the action, but the shells are hitting the side of my stock and leaving dings. I just ordered the spring, but it doesn't seem like a guaranteed fix. Is there anything else I can do? Only bought this riffle because I read the problem was only with the long actions. My Tikka sends the spent shells 8 feet away from the gun, why wouldn't this gun be the same.
Thanks, Joe

The 85 has a manual ejector, so the force of the ejection is dependent on how hard you pull the bolt back. Just ease the bolt back so the ejector doesn't hit the casehead & pluck the empty out with your fingers. You can also use the ejector to gently pop the case free of the extractor but not fling the case out of the action by controlling the bolts rearward movement as well. Or, you can get a scope without the bulbous knobs. Or, you can sell the 85 & get an older Sako for half what you paid for the 85 & have no issues. Good Luck!

The 85 has a manual ejector, so the force of the ejection is dependent on how hard you pull the bolt back. Just ease the bolt back so the ejector doesn't hit the casehead & pluck the empty out with your fingers. You can also use the ejector to gently pop the case free of the extractor but not fling the case out of the action by controlling the bolts rearward movement as well. Or, you can get a scope without the bulbous knobs. Or, you can sell the 85 & get an older Sako for half what you paid for the 85 & have no issues. Good Luck!
Thanks for the info. Would have loved to find an older model, but .223 is a hard caliber on the used market.

Old thread but… this is fixable! Bend the extractor inwards to grip the rim tighter than it presently is. Getting rid of the excess slop between case base and bolt face fixes the issue…. Cases will eject out to the side. I have had my ‘Smith do this to 3 85’s (.223, 30-06, 375 HH)and all are 100 percent reliable now. The .223 was totally inoperable, every case hit the scope and dropped back in. All rifles have 1” tube Leupold hunting scopes in low rings.

Old thread but… this is fixable! Bend the extractor inwards to grip the rim tighter than it presently is. Getting rid of the excess slop between case base and bolt face fixes the issue…. Cases will eject out to the side. I have had my ‘Smith do this to 3 85’s (.223, 30-06, 375 HH)and all are 100 percent reliable now. The .223 was totally inoperable, every case hit the scope and dropped back in. All rifles have 1” tube Leupold hunting scopes in low rings.
Thank you very much Beerhunter for your post. I have a Sako 85 in 300 win mag that sometimes will eject the spent case into the scope to have it drop back in the action jamming it. It usually happens when you less need it. Not while calmly sighting it in at the range but when you are trying to hastily cycle the bolt to shoot the next boar rushing across the narrow clear in the brush.
When the spent case locks the action and you cannot chamber the next round you curse Beretta, Sako and all their relatives and dealers. But that doesn't help a bit.

Since your advice seems pretty much more effective. I (and most likely many more Sako 85 users) would be very grateful if you could explain the modifications carried out in your rifle. Posibly including pictures ?
Thank you very much any way,
Frank

Last edited:
Hello Frank

I will get exact details of how my gunsmith went about it (Australian) and let you know.

The 85 action is so good, but let down by this problem alone, and for many rifles. I was determined to solve it because it seemed so dissapointing from a engineering perspective.

Each cartridge has different rim thickness, let alone different makers specifications. I feel that the 85 design did not allow for this. Much easier with a plunger ejector to time the ejection!

Stand by..

Just be careful. If you overdo it, it will not extract unfired cartridge reliably thus creating a very dangerous condition.

Another thing one can try with XS receiver size is to shorten down the bolt stop to allow the bolt to come back further thus increasing the distance the ejector point protrudes through the bolt face. This gives the casing a little bit of extra kick. This is just for the XS, all the rest have plenty. Will not help with ejection direction.

Last edited:
Just be careful. If you overdo it, it will not extract unfired cartridge reliably thus creating a very dangerous condition.

Why do you say that failing to extract an unfired cartridge is a very dangerous situation ? Because of the risk of storing a loaded firearm ?

Why do you say that failing to extract an unfired cartridge is a very dangerous situation ? Because of the risk of storing a loaded firearm ?
Simply for the chance of thinking the gun is empty when it isn't.

Also if the ammo doesn't want to fall out just by gravity it's a pain in the butt to get out in the field if you can't get the extractor to grab it.

Simply for the chance of thinking the gun is empty when it isn't.

Also if the ammo doesn't want to fall out just by gravity it's a pain in the butt to get out in the field if you can't get the extractor to grab it.
All right, thanks. That is what I was thinking of. But since it was a safety issue I wanted to learn more. Just in case there was something more about it that I had not heard of.
Thx,
Frank

Hey Frank

My Gunsmith said he made a ‘jig’ to hold the extractor, then just bent it in a bit, no heat or tapping.

Hope that helps
Thanks Beer,
It seems like a delicate job. Surely not for the butterfingered person. Your gunsmith most likely made or adapted some tooling for the task.

I consider myself able at the shop but not particularly skilled. I bought a Sako extractor replacement set from Brownells a few months ago just in case I needed it. It was the last unit they had at the time so I decided to order it.
When I feel relaxed during summertime I may get to it.
Anyway it is very reassuring to know that someone has succesfully accomplished it before.
Thx,
Frank

Thanks Frank

You’ll get it sorted. with the bolt out…when an empty case sits on the bolt face squared up, under the extractor, horizontal and is not falling away, things are looking good.

Pretty clear. I will re-read the whole thread when I get to it.
Thanks for all the very valuable info.

Latest posts

Back