• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

First Sako L579

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

moglooga

5EC8F813-EBCA-4710-A633-65F8C0335468.jpeg B54CDE24-199C-42DC-8EF1-28DABC60E66D.jpeg DF9360C1-AD9F-4DA9-8A73-4F0B3966EB4A.jpeg 17897AC6-5080-4E4F-9B91-60AECAF5D638.jpeg 2F396F43-6799-45FC-B589-175D34D7C39C.jpeg 1AA1F0B1-7207-416A-B94F-409B7277D84E.jpeg It has been a few weeks since I found my .308 L579 at a pawn shop for an out the door price or $534. I have been reading and think the engraving might have been done in the factory, I could be completely wrong. Looking the S/N chart 11309 was manufactured on 03/29/1960 mine is 11305 would it be safe to assume that is probably the date of manufacture for mine? I appreciate any help or thoughts and sorry for the rambling it’s late and I’m sleepy.

Wow nice find!
There is a link at the top of the page that will help you age this beauty.
Yes it looks like a factory engraving and a somewhat rarer one to boot.
Congratulations on your purchase.
Kax

To the right of where it says “members “ at the top of the page
There are 3bars click there and go to factory service records

As Sako did not make rifles in sequential order with the SN's one can not assume any production dates. Factory records have shown rifles with consecutive SN's being shipped years apart & SN' s thousands of numbers apart being shipped on the same day. Fortunately, your rifle falls within the SN range that we have Factory Records for. Just click & request a search. Just a heads up, but you should not leave that limb saver on the rifle when not using it as it will eventually discolor that area & create a cosmetic issue. Nice rifle! That three deer pattern is fairly rare.

You are a thief, and you can either turn yourself in, or sell the rifle to me, for $534, and I will keep it between us. You can even keep that hideous limb saver.

Very nice piece. Congrats on a fine rifle at a steal

Sako did make their rifles in order but it is not always the case in a few instances. Your rifle has all the characteristics that would lead me to believe that you are close to the day if was made. There is a diamond grip cap and a flat bottomed bolt handle. There is also no recoil crossbolt and only the very early .308s lacked that crossbolt. There is also a distinct difference in the engraving style on your floorplate which is generally wider as is the bottom metal as compared to later L579s. It's easy for me to recognize those " not so subtle "differences but then I have owned them since 1960. You have a gem. Keep the action screws tight and don't shoot hot loads. It will last at least three more lifetimes.

Thank you for the responses. I have been looking for an own pad not sure where to look for an original if I can even get one nowadays.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you for the responses. I have been looking for an own pad not sure where to look for an original if I can even get one nowadays.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
There are a few out there. They will not be "original", but they are a decent imitation. Take that pad off that you have ( if it slips on ) and take a pic and let us look at what is left on..

View attachment 28096 View attachment 28097 View attachment 28098 View attachment 28099 View attachment 28100 View attachment 28101 It has been a few weeks since I found my .308 L579 at a pawn shop for an out the door price or $534. I have been reading and think the engraving might have been done in the factory, I could be completely wrong. Looking the S/N chart 11309 was manufactured on 03/29/1960 mine is 11305 would it be safe to assume that is probably the date of manufacture for mine? I appreciate any help or thoughts and sorry for the rambling it’s late and I’m sleepy.
What a find!
Very early example, agreed that the lack of the recoil cross bolt verifies this. The juniper diamond is also an identifier of early production.
I will also agree that the limbsaver boot should not stay on. The recoil pads can be replaced, but as said before, the newer pads available are reproductions. Once in a great while you can find an original pad that’s not rotten on eBay and the likes.
I do know one individual who had one of the “Custom shops” pads installed on a similar Forester with good results.

um … you did really mean to say $1534 …right?

Those pads, however, are grossly overpriced and misrepresented as originals when they are in fact repros. Buyer beware.
Had a bit of trepidation trying to not endorse anything. Always makes my lips curl a bit. I found a cutoff on ebay a few years ago but I sold it for a safequeen L461 so the hardness wasn't an issue for the new owner. I still remember buying the repros from Brownell's for a very reasonable under $50 price. We will not see reasonable pricing again.

Those pads, however, are grossly overpriced and misrepresented as originals when they are in fact repros. Buyer beware.
They also are of inferior quality. No metal skeleton in the base . Flimsy & hard to get flush with the buttstock. Material used in the injection molding process feels like it will get crumbly in a short time. @ $125 + shipping they are not worth it, IMHO. I have installed several for members here & wondered why??? Over $200 for a recoil pad installed & everybody knows it's a phony. Could put a quality pad on that looks pretty much the same, except for those 4 little letters on the face for less than half. Go figure?

Last edited:
Can we have a closer look at the grip cap inlay?
Hard to really tell for sure , but the diamond appears to have sharp points. This would indicate the very earliest of DeLux stocks. The first inlays were pointy , then the points were soon rounded off slightly, both of which still will have the forward slanting rosewood forearm tip and matching angled checkering. Sako finally finished changing things in effort to satisfy Weatherby and individualize their DeLux models for the market, and marked the beginning of the Vixens , Foresters and Finnbears and the Juniper Fox, Tree, and Bear we all know.

Pads..real ones, fakes , and suitable replacements, including the cost to be installed, are all looked upon later as value indicators. Those four little letters will add value. It may be known, for obvious reason, that a brand new pad that has those letters was replaced at sometime and not truly original, but it will have less effect on value than a Whiteline or Pachmayr replacement. Why wouldn’t this be any different than a refinished rifle in context to value. Its either Original, restored as Original or just Replaced.
Everyone plays into it in one way or another, whether your buying or selling or devaluating.
The price paid for a pad and proper installation of that pad is solely up to the individual owners desired end result. My friend has his replaced because the original pad didn’t suit him. It really wasn’t that bad only being slightly deformed from sitting propped in a safe, but still, he wanted it replaced. Go Figure.

Sold my 1963 Vintage Deluxe a couple years ago with the original pad and it was still soft and functional. On the other hand my 1960 Deluxe had it's pad replaced in the early 80s. Looked like a frozen dog turd. It got a Pachmayer pad that was exactly like the original, lines and all. It just doesn't say Sako on it. That new pad is still on it and looks good. Lasting twice as long. I would have rather taken my chances on a "Sako" pad but that was in the days of dial phones, pony express and snail mail.

You must have better Pawn Shops near you. Bet you couldn't get out the door fast enough! Love to hear if anyone has had great Sako Pawn Shop finds that compares to this one.

Not a pawn shop, but I once answered an ad for a Leupold scope at an address in a trailer park (no offense to anyone who lives in a trailer park, but this one was, shall we say, "on the lower end of the scale" as trailer parks go). Made a deal with the guy on the scope and he mentions he has a rifle in 6mm Remington. He didn't know the make, but he said that although he wanted to keep it he might sell it for the right price, along with about a half-dozen boxes of ammunition.

He hummed and hawed about showing it to me, but finally told me what he wanted (seems like it was about $500) and went to get it. When he started to pull it out of the case the first thing I saw was a Sako buttplate. And sure enough, he pulls out an L57 in .244. It was difficult for me to act hesitant enough to be convincing before I plopped down five bills and grabbed the gun and factory ammo. The black rubber tire marks are probably still there that I left getting away.

Not a pawn shop, but I once answered an ad for a Leupold scope at an address in a trailer park (no offense to anyone who lives in a trailer park, but this one was, shall we say, "on the lower end of the scale" as trailer parks go). Made a deal with the guy on the scope and he mentions he has a rifle in 6mm Remington. He didn't know the make, but he said that although he wanted to keep it he might sell it for the right price, along with about a half-dozen boxes of ammunition.

He hummed and hawed about showing it to me, but finally told me what he wanted (seems like it was about $500) and went to get it. When he started to pull it out of the case the first thing I saw was a Sako buttplate. And sure enough, he pulls out an L57 in .244. It was difficult for me to act hesitant enough to be convincing before I plopped down five bills and grabbed the gun and factory ammo. The black rubber tire marks are probably still there that I left getting away.
What is the Statute of Limitations for larceny in Texas?

Reactions: ERP

Latest posts

Back