• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

Hello, another Aussie from Victoria.

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

Hi everyone,

I came here to find information/history on my M39s. I have 2 M39s and a Sako 85 Bavarian.

Look forward to hearing from you all.

Dave

Not sure what you're looking for, but here's a basic summary of the m/39.

The model 39 rifle was the final step in a process begun by the Finns in the mid-1920's, to improve and update the Russian Mosin-Nagant model 1891 rifle. The Finns standardized on the Mosin-Nagant and its 7.62x54r cartridge because they had inherited a large quantity of rifles, ammunition, and ancillary items that were in Russian arsenals in Finland when Finland gained its independence in 1917. More rifles were captured in the Finnish Civil War, when Russia provided the Finnish Reds with arms. See this post for photos of my Civil War captured rifle rebuilt into a Civil Guard m/24: https://sakocollectors.com/forum/threads/an-m-91-24-with-a-lot-of-history.14077/

The first Finnish Mosins were simply improved m/91 rifles, with barrels made in Finland or purchased from Germany and Switzerland. Beginning with the model 27, the Finns began building shorter rifles with modified stocks and a host of improvements. All Finnish Mosin-Nagants are built on recycled Russian actions. The Finns never built the basic Mosin-Nagant action, but many other parts were made in Finland. The army and the Suojeluskunta (Civil Guard) had separate weapons programs until the two were unified with the model 39. Sako got its start as a weapons factory for the Civil Guard; the name is an acronym for Suojeluskuntain Ase- ja Konepaja (Civil Guard Arms and Machine Works).

The m/39 was one of the finest infantry rifles of its day. It was notable for accuracy, reliability, excellent stock ergonomics, and easy-to-see sights. It was based on the Civil Guard's m/28-30, which introduced the squared-off sights and some other improvements used on the m/39. The biggest change in the m/39 over all previous models was the heavier stock with a semi-pistol grip configuration and sling attachments built in instead of the old Russian-style leather loops. I find this stock to be the most comfortable I've ever shot on a high-powered military bolt action. Another change in the m/39 was standardization of the bore diameter. The m/28-30 had a bore diameter of .308", while army rifles were .310-311. With the m/39, the Finns standardized both services on a .310 bore. The Finns also made some minor changes to the cartridge and called it the 7.62x53r. Surplus Russian and other ComBloc ammo works fine in an m/39, but be sure to use the correct cleaning procedures and solvents for corrosive ammo.

An m/39 in good condition is extremely accurate for a standard-issue rifle, comparable to a Swedish model 96 Mauser or a Swiss K31. The acceptance standard for a production m/39 was near-MOA for a 3-shot group fired from a bench fixture. Many shooters report best accuracy with the tension on the barrel band slightly relaxed. Action screws should always be dead tight. Many m/39 rifles are fitted with metal shims at the stock bedding points to improve accuracy. Be sure to check for and keep track of any shims when and if you take the action out of the stock.

M/39 rifles were made by Sako and VKT (State Rifle Factory). Production was mainly from 1940 through 1944, but Sako made a few thousand in 1945 and a few thousand more were built between 1967 and 1973 for training purposes. Sako made rifles for both the army and the Suojeluskunta. Army rifles bear the Sako gear logo on the barrel shank and the stock; Suojeluskunta rifles are marked Sk.Y and most have the Suojeluskunta crest on the stock. Many rifles with wartime stamped dates were actually assembled after the war, using wartime barreled actions and later production stocks. There are also m/39 rifles marked Tikka and B (for Belgium - the barrels were purchased from FN). These rifles were built after the war from barreled actions meant for Finnish m/91 rifles. The barrels were cut down and assembled into m/39 rifles. The barrels differ in muzzle diameter by a few thousandths; performance is the same. There are also some VKT rifles that were made with cut-down m/91 barrels; these can be identified by serial number in the m/91 series and by measuring the muzzle. These m/39's cut down from m/91's bear wartime barrel dates. A very few rifles bear both VKT and B markings and have Belgian proofs. I've never seen that combination in an m/39 but I have an m/91 with that combination of markings.

If you have any specific questions, I will do my best to answer them. I have been collecting m/39 rifles since the mid-1990's. If you would like to post some photos, I may be able to give you some specific information about your rifles. If you post, be sure to include a photo of the underside of the stock where the two pieces are joined. This joint will tell when the stock was made (i.e. wartime or postwar.)

Last edited:
Hello icebear,
I am a new member here. I read your post,I see a lot of knowledge on m-39. I would like to ask your opinion of the 2 simular stamps on the barrel of my 1941 Sako made m-39. Looks like circle crossed wih swords or cannons?
What those stand for?
Thanks! B9E689E7-54B7-45CC-85D1-F6B1EC6F1E9E.jpeg 4347942C-DC1D-4DE4-BA10-D1173DF49B36.jpeg B9E689E7-54B7-45CC-85D1-F6B1EC6F1E9E.jpeg B9E689E7-54B7-45CC-85D1-F6B1EC6F1E9E.jpeg

I can't place it. It might be a mark from one of the weapon storage/overhaul units (Asevarikko) of the Finnish Army. Unfortunately the mark doesn't appear to be well struck and it's hard to read. You might get a better picture by filling in the mark with white lacquer stick or just dab it with white paint and wipe off the excess. It might be helpful to see the markings on the barrel shank, just to see if there's anything out of the ordinary there.

There is an enormous amount of information on Finnish military rifles at www.mosinnagant.net. I did look for your mark there but didn't find it.

There is an enormous amount of information on Finnish military rifles at www.mosinnagant.net.
I'm surprised that we don't get more requests for factory records information on the Sako Mosins. The records show when the rifle was received at the plant, the diagnosis of what "corrections" were needed, and when it was shipped back out.

Here is a random sample of a page from the M-39 ledger:

Attachments

• M-39 sample.pdf
    605.7 KB · Views: 14
Back