• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

Help identifying this AIII

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

Jiminwa

I have AIII553xxx, Imported by Stoeger under barrel. SAKO 30-06 top of barrel. no iron sights. Fairly nice stock, no inlays or separate tip and cap. Checkering just on sides of stock. Has curious small brass hex on left bottom side of fore grip. Monte Carlo style cheek piece. 24” barrel. Can anyone tell me more about this rifle? Thx

Last edited:
Sako started the AIII stamping in early 1978 to denote the addition of a bolt shroud on the L61R action & started the AV stamping in late 1981 to denote the lengthening of the rear tang, so your rifle was made sometime in that time period. Your's is the standard sporter in a common caliber & makes a nice hunting rifle, but is not of much interest to collectors. Can't comment on the "curious brass hex" other than it is not from the factory. If you peruse the forum section on the Sako Long Actions you will find about anything you ever would want to know about your rifle.

The dates Paulson cites are correct, but as with virtually everything Sako the changeover occurred over a period of time. There were a lot of the previous L61R actions used after the 1978 changeover to the A-III designation (many of these L61R's also had the shrouded bolt) and lots of A-III's came after the 1981 change to the A-V designation.

Not that it matters in any meaningful way whether your rifle was made in 1978 or 1983 -- there is no expiration date on a Sako!

Sako started the AIII stamping in early 1978 to denote the addition of a bolt shroud on the L61R action & started the AV stamping in late 1981 to denote the lengthening of the rear tang, so your rifle was made sometime in that time period. Your's is the standard sporter in a common caliber & makes a nice hunting rifle, but is not of much interest to collectors. Can't comment on the "curious brass hex" other than it is not from the factory. If you peruse the forum section on the Sako Long Actions you will find about anything you ever would want to know about your rifle.
Thx for the info. This rifle is a family heirloom, like many others. It will used for its intended purpose and then handed down not sold.

I will attempt to load some pics.

Attachments

• 1728F1FA-2C39-4938-9F3C-B482F74299FD.jpeg
    1728F1FA-2C39-4938-9F3C-B482F74299FD.jpeg
    348.1 KB · Views: 49
  • 9209CE13-F95F-4AC6-AA30-7CE8E9A6A63C.jpeg
    9209CE13-F95F-4AC6-AA30-7CE8E9A6A63C.jpeg
    366.5 KB · Views: 48
  • E2473BC8-0BF4-40EA-81F0-F5A31966DF64.jpeg
    E2473BC8-0BF4-40EA-81F0-F5A31966DF64.jpeg
    274 KB · Views: 56
The "curious brass hex" is truly curious! I've never seen anything like it & haven't a clue how or why it is there. You've got a nice rifle that will serve you & your descendants well!

Fine looking piece in a tried and true caliber.
By all means use it as it was intended and enjoy it.
Sako rifles with Leupold scopes all spells quality to me.
The brass hex is a indeed a curiosity.
Welcome to the club.
Kax

Very nice looking stock. I wonder if it has been stripped, stained, and refinished. I've never seen that shade of brown on a Sako stock. The hex is curious. It could be the end of a reinforcement for a stock repair, although I see no evidence of a repaired crack. If it weren't for the hex shape, it would look like some repairs I've done - except that all of mine were done with round, threaded rod. I suppose someone could have used a hexagonal piece to dress up the end of a piece of reinforcing rod. Or maybe it's just a tiny decoration having personal significance to whoever refinished the stock.

Hunting season is usually pretty wet here. I usually disassemble all my rifles after hunting season to ensure all moisture has been removed. Learned that lesson years ago, bedded actions being the worst. I will check the stock at that time for repairs. After getting the responses from you gentlemen, I think the brass hex is an added identification mark. I have done similar things. Thanks again for your replies.

Latest posts

Back