• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

Kimber 82 Cascade resto

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

bigcountry4me

Sako-addicted
Found a pawn shop Kimber 82 Cascade in .22LR last week. The main issue was the diminutive rifle had been dropped thus causing a large chunk to break off where the toe of the metal plate met the wood. After some negotiations I walked out with it at $350. It also had some dings but nothing major. The bluing is very good. Sorry, I neglected to take before photos.

I quickly mounted a scope just for some quick fun and to see how it grouped. As usual these little gems simply are very accurate.

Yesterday, I started working on my latest project. First I took it completely apart. Then I used a rasp an re profiled the underside of the stock. Then rough sanded to remove the rasp marks. Then I re shaped the steel plate. Pretty pleased with the result, thus far. The wood has some nice figure. Next is finish sanding and final touches.

I purchased a new to me finish which is actually a local company. The product is supposed to be top notch. Figured I’d include a photo of the brochure because of the Sako rifle shown.

Attachments

• IMG_3769.jpeg
    IMG_3769.jpeg
    217.6 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_3774.jpeg
    IMG_3774.jpeg
    243.5 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_3775.jpeg
    IMG_3775.jpeg
    181.2 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_3772.jpeg
    IMG_3772.jpeg
    211.7 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_3770.jpeg
    IMG_3770.jpeg
    213.5 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_3771.jpeg
    IMG_3771.jpeg
    172.1 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_3773.jpeg
    IMG_3773.jpeg
    174.8 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_3776.jpeg
    IMG_3776.jpeg
    209.3 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_3777.jpeg
    IMG_3777.jpeg
    206.7 KB · Views: 41
Nice work. The stock has beautiful grain, definitely worth the effort to save it. Congratulations!

Do you have any idea what the base is on that oil finish in the last two photos? Tung oil, maybe? "All natural" is pretty meaningless. If it's good, it's good, but it would be nice to know what it is. The label seems to be designed to hide a "secret formula."

The company includes a basic formula, but not much else. I’ll let you know and post a photo or two of what I think. I like the natural aspect. And, it came highly recommended. Thanks.
Very interesting, thanks. Sounds very promising. I'm with you on the natural aspect. Let us know how it works and how long it takes to dry between coats. Linseed tends to stay sticky for days, but maybe their process mitigates this without the usual heat treatment or adding Japan dryer. And if they've really got a linseed product that doesn't turn yellow with age - that's great.

Very interesting, thanks. Sounds very promising. I'm with you on the natural aspect. Let us know how it works and how long it takes to dry between coats. Linseed tends to stay sticky for days, but maybe their process mitigates this without the usual heat treatment or adding Japan dryer. And if they've really got a linseed product that doesn't turn yellow with age - that's great.
From what little organic chemistry I have retained, I would guess the Orange Oil (citrus turpenes) acts as the drying agent. Having said that, I remember barely passing that class.

From what little organic chemistry I have retained, I would guess the Orange Oil (citrus turpenes) acts as the drying agent. Having said that, I remember barely passing that class.
You're ahead of me - I took quite a bit of physics but changed out of my science major before I got to Organic Chem. The orange oil explanation would seem to make sense. I have no idea what is in Japan Dryer, but it's been around long enough that I imagine it's a natural product. I do use it and it works on "boiled" linseed oil.

Found a pawn shop Kimber 82 Cascade in .22LR last week. The main issue was the diminutive rifle had been dropped thus causing a large chunk to break off where the toe of the metal plate met the wood. After some negotiations I walked out with it at $350. It also had some dings but nothing major. The bluing is very good. Sorry, I neglected to take before photos.

I quickly mounted a scope just for some quick fun and to see how it grouped. As usual these little gems simply are very accurate.

Yesterday, I started working on my latest project. First I took it completely apart. Then I used a rasp an re profiled the underside of the stock. Then rough sanded to remove the rasp marks. Then I re shaped the steel plate. Pretty pleased with the result, thus far. The wood has some nice figure. Next is finish sanding and final touches.

I purchased a new to me finish which is actually a local company. The product is supposed to be top notch. Figured I’d include a photo of the brochure because of the Sako rifle shown.
Hi Jeffy1,
Echo icebear's comments, great work & skilled hands. let us see when finished. B/T

would guess the Orange Oil (citrus turpenes) acts as the drying agent
Yes, the company also stated it helps keeps the product stable, so it lasts longer and apparently doesn’t need to be cut. Sometimes as you are aware, these products have a fairly short shelf life. Supposedly right, we’ll see.

One coat in. 10-12 to go, I suppose . This product is different, hopefully in a good way.

Pretty pleased with how it blows up the grain. Just wait until it’s fully filled and properly buffed.

It’s silky smooth and I suppose it’s thin enough to work with as-is. I’m not sure what to cut it with, without potentially ruining the product. It’s not sticky, so you can work with it basically until it’s dry. The scent of the orange and the beeswax is definitely on the front end. Do I sound like a Whiskey connoisseur?

This seems to be a patience level product, I say that because, although not sticky it has a feeling it probably won’t be workable for at least 36-48 hrs. Probably because of natural characteristics. I think I’d put my type A personality on the back burner and let this stuff properly set.

I’ll check back soon.

Attachments

• IMG_3781.jpeg
    IMG_3781.jpeg
    115.5 KB · Views: 26
It’s silky smooth and I suppose it’s thin enough to work with as-is. I’m not sure what to cut it with, without potentially ruining the product.
Perusing their website it appears the "Gunstock" oil is the same as the floor oil, which they say for "spills, overspray, & clean up of tools" to use their Orange Citrus Solvent or just regular turpentine. They say they welcome phone calls, as well. I'm gonna try some.

Great! Customer service staff was very helpful during my phone call. Yeah, the gunstock oil is probably a tiny fraction of the product they sell. It looks like they cater towards woods which are either exposed to the elements like beams, etc. or as you’ve indicated, flooring.

Wanted to complete the thread with a couple more photos. Feeling pretty good about the small investment in this old Cascade model.

These were pretty plain with regard to having straight grain wood. Mixed feelings about the new finishing product, probably because I’m so comfortable with the product and method I’ve pretty much always utilized.

A Burris mini and Talley ringmounts to round it out.

The rifle is definitely a gem related to accuracy. Ace-of-clubs.

Attachments

• IMG_3813.jpeg
    IMG_3813.jpeg
    227 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_3815.jpeg
    IMG_3815.jpeg
    127 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_3812.jpeg
    IMG_3812.jpeg
    238.2 KB · Views: 23
Nice, to say the least. Wild grain on the stock. And superb work on your part in fixing it up and refinishing. I'll have to try that stock oil on my next project.

And superb work on your part in fixing it up and refinishing.
Appreciate your kind words. The product is slow to dry/cure, probably because of the natural characteristics, rather than the typical hardeners, but it is a breeze to wet sand with.

Wish I had better lighting and was a talented person with a camera. It simply looks better in person.

Latest posts

Back