• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

L46 25-20 win

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

ajez

Hi,
Last week I found a L46 in 25-20 win at my local dealer. I've never seen a L46 in this caliber before (but i knew that they have been manufactured). Is it a common caliber for the L46 in other countries (in sweden its very rare)?
Should i buy it just to own it;) ? The rifle seems to be an early version with the safety at the left side designed almost like a flag safety.
Grateful for any information about the caliber and Sakos in this caliber. Barrel twist? Suitable bullets, pet loads.
//Andreas

ajez!
Actually the .25-20 is much more common in Sweden and Scandinavia (and a few other countries as well) than in the US to which it was never imported for unknown reasons.
However, there are probably a few of these to be found in the US imported by individuals.
Should you buy it? Well if you want it or need it (or both!!) and the price suits you, go ahead! Fantastic little rifles!! I have two so far.
Let us know if you buy it!
Jim

Today I bought the rifle. I didn't need it! But I'd wan't it so bad....

I'd also found a box of sako factory ammo fo th .25-20. Pictures will be uploaded in a couple of weeks.

/Andreas

Andreas- Finally, I can exhale. I thought you would wind up like most- Sit around thinking and talking about it instead of buying it. Most of us wait too long and they are gone.- Congrats, Misako

Today I found an extra magazine for the .25-20 (stamped .25-20) for 25$. The magazine that come with the rifle had no numbers at all.

Now I looking for a suitable scope! Any suggestions? I've got a Pecar 2 3/4 with 22 mm body, but i don't got the 22 mm sako mounts (but I will try to find them). I think it would be a fantastic rabbit rifle for short distance work

//Andreas

Ajez: Are you located in Europe? If so, my scope recommendations might be different since prices and availability vary between the U.S. and Europe.

Althought I nearly always use a current model Leupold on most of my rifles, I like the looks of a "contemporanous" scope with a fifty to sixty year-old rifle. For example, I have an L-46 7x33 on which I've mounted a Weaver K-3 -- the combination "looks right" and the old scope is ample in magnification and resolution for anything I might shoot with the diminutative cartridge. I have a 3x Leupold M-7 from the 1950's sitting in my safe "in reserve" should I come across a rifle like your .25-20.

That Pecar 2.75 sounds like an excellent match for your .25-20. American-style 7/8" rings should work with a 22 mm body. You might consult ebay to find some Redfield/Leupold style 7/8" dovetail rings which you could mount in Redfield/Burris Sako bases. Offhand, I can't think of any other 7/8" mounts that would adapt to your Sako, although others may know of some.

If you can't find rings to mount your Pecar, or if you want something with more power and resolution, I would recommend one of the Leupold Compact models. Their small size doesn't overwhelm the small receiver of the L-46.

I've got weaver ring mounts for the pecar. Where can I find the conversion bases?

//Andreas

ajez!
Congrats on the magazine and rifle!
I have one of these and itxB4s a sweetie!!
I will PM you since I might be of help with a proper Sako 22mm mount!
Jim

Andreas: Hopefully, Jim will have a solution for you. Yes, Weaver made a mount base to adapt their rings to the Sako, but it is a homely aluminum contraption (actually, two of them, one front and one rear.) If you can find ANY other mount, it will be better than the Weaver. That said, if you need them, I have a set of the Weavers which I've threatened to toss in the trash can, but have kept around in case of nuclear holocost or some other almost inconceivable circumstance in which I might defile a Sako's receiver by mounting them on it.

And the first range report. Rifle scoped with a 4x Leupold in Sako original high scope mounts.Distance 100 m, 5 shot group measuring 15 mm (.59 "). Ammo was handloaded 75grs HP.

//Andreas

That's pretty phenomenal for a .25-20 -- a caliber that is not particularly known for accuracy. I'm envious of you! What game will you pursue with it? Hares? Fox? Capercaellae? If I had it here in Texas, I would regard it as a first class turkey rifle.

I was pretty amazed to about the accuracy. Sako 70 grs fmj grouped about 20 mm. I will mainly use it for geese, hares and fox hunting.

//Andreas

That is amazing from the owner of a Winchester Model 92 in 25-20. I just have an aperture sight and I'm lucky to get 6 cm at 100 meters.

Geese! Yes, I understand that lots of European hunters shoot geese with rifles. I understand that since we similarly shoot turkeys with rifles here in Texas, but people from other parts of the country don't seem to get the concept of bird hunting with rifles.

Like Onegun above, I have an aperture sight on my Remington Model 25 pump in .25-20 and am happy with about 6 cm at 100 meters.

Here in PA you can use rifle for fall turkey only, if you have happen to be using say a .270 the game wardens will be talking to you for a long, long, long time

Lots of turkeys are taken by Texas deer hunters with their deer rifles. In fact, last fall I took two turkeys with a single shot from my Sako .270 -- and believe it or not, there was not a spec of meat on either lost to the shot!

Back