• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

L579- 243. Forester

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

HeavyL579Jr

Hi everyone! I just joined as Ive been watching my fathers posts, He is enjoying his Lr61- 30.06 Finnbear i bought him for Christmas. My dad also bought a large safe for me for Christmas so its time to work on my collections!

I just purchased 2x L579 243. Foresters. Very anxious to get them they appear to be in great condition with a few minor issues with scope mounting. When they arrive i will be able to post better pictures of them and get more detail but these are a few of the pics i was given.

Notice the lower serial number 4253! Very cool!

This spring i have a feeling we will be busy!

Attachments

• 27_2.jpg
    27_2.jpg
    72.9 KB · Views: 42
  • 27_3.jpg
    27_3.jpg
    72.4 KB · Views: 43
  • 84_1.jpg
    84_1.jpg
    73.3 KB · Views: 41
  • 84_3.jpg
    84_3.jpg
    76.2 KB · Views: 42
Very cool!
A father / son thing here is good to see. Glad both of you are enjoying the club!
Two nice old Foresters there, especially the L57 w/ Bausch & Lomb optic. That set up is very popular for the period.
You’ll hear otherwise with the Weaver mounts on the L579 soon enough…but they do work.
I hope that you and your dad will continue to share and enjoy!
Thanks for sharing

Indeed
I thought it might be neato!
I was looking into the scopes and the Bausch & Lomb is a good choice by reviewers.
I do think i want to possibly switch the Weaver out for a Redfield 3x9

Last edited:
Very cool!
A father / son thing here is good to see. Glad both of you are enjoying the club!
Two nice old Foresters there, especially the L57 w/ Bausch & Lomb optic. That set up is very popular for the period.
You’ll hear otherwise with the Weaver mounts on the L579 soon enough…but they do work.
I hope that you and your dad will continue to share and enjoy!
Thanks for sharing
Hi fellow Sako, shooters,
My favorite times are shooting & hunting with my sons. I got them started about age 9-10
shooting thrown empty milk jugs in the air shooting bb guns. We then worked down to quart size soda bottles then to smaller ones. They both shoot better than I & are fine hunters & trackers. Never had any issues with drugs booze, etc. I am not a fan of bow hunting, but both my sons are fine shots with a bow & arrow. They both have Sako rifles & love the way the rifles put bullets close together on paper & critters. Keep your son with you & love the times together, life is short. Best wishes! B/T

Attachments

• IMG_5535.jpg
    IMG_5535.jpg
    197.9 KB · Views: 22
Indeed
I thought it might be neato!
I was looking into the scopes and the Bausch & Lomb is a good choice by reviewers.
I do think i want to possibly switch the Weaver out for a Redfield 3x9
Nothing wrong with the Weaver scope…it’s the super high weaver rings and bases. You’ll be better off with anything besides those. Sako vintage rings are top choice but there are other choices out there like Leupold or Millet.
Search here for threads on scope rings for more information!

I put a bid on a pair of Sako low rings on GB, see if i get them they are in very nice shape. Should get the job done. Thanks

If you don't get the rings you bid on you might want to consider Leupold ringmounts in medium height. And yes, if you wish you can swap out the Weaver for a similar Redfield. The Weaver is serviceable, but being a steel tube it is also unnecessarily heavy, especially for the older and very svelte Foresters.

The old B&L scope has excellent optics, among the best ever made. The problem is that, depending on your personal body dimensions, it mounts so high above the comb of the rifle that your head may be bobbing around in the air without good contact with the cheekpiece when your eye is aligned with the scope''s sight picture.

Regardless of whether you choose to change or modify the scopes, both rifles are fine vintage pieces that any Sako enthusiast would be delighted to own.

I did see a set of medium Leupold rings online, I did put a watch on them. If I do not end up winning the Sako rings that would be my next go to.
I will have to find out when i get everything setup at the old gun shack on the target range to see how they feel hoping for the best but if they are too tall i can always order some lower rings. That should give me and dad a few options to try out when we go to sight in. I will have to check and see what he has on his 579. I did not get a good look the last time the cabinet was open.

I got conformation they are both shipped out as of today so hoping by Friday i will have them.

Well I thought I would post a update to where im at currently with both 243. L57 and L579 and Lr61 338. Did major cleaning on all 3 Ofta!

I did end up getting a Vintage set of Blued High Sako Rings with the peep sights and used great grandpas Weaver scope too! Spent a pretty penny but i figured having them with the L57 was worth it! We took the Bausch and lomb scope off because of dots on the magnifier hope to get this cleaned somewhere.. The kuharksy mount we set aside as well i will keep the Balvar 8 scope with it.

The L579 we ended up putting a pair of Leupold rings on it for now with the RedField 3x 9x from dads 30.06 he upgraded to a Leupold, I did score another pair of Sako High rings with the peeps so will have to wait for those to come in.
So far so good with both of them!

I also ended up getting a what i think is a (1970) Garcia Lr61 .338 with a lucky bid we got the loads all figured up Friday and shot today was a Blast from the past! Came with a RedField Royal 3x9x with the accurange so that was neat to play with was reading into the manual for 1969 was Vietnam info about on how to locate your enemy.

Well with Dad having the 30.06 the 244 and both of my 243's and this 338 we might just be Sako'd out but this has been an adventure and were sure not done yet! So far just getting things dialed in and playing with all of these loads it wont be long we will be lined up in long range.

Glad you're enjoying your Sakos! But we need to warn you that having four is just a starter for a serious and incurable addiction.

The holes in the base of the Sako high rings are not for the purpose of "peep" or "see-through" use with iron sights. They are simply there to lighten the weight of the all-steel mounts.

Glad you're enjoying your Sakos! But we need to warn you that having four is just a starter for a serious and incurable addiction.

The holes in the base of the Sako high rings are not for the purpose of "peep" or "see-through" use with iron sights. They are simply there to lighten the weight of the all-steel mounts.

Agreed! I'm assuming another will catch my eye can't have just one need to have them all! I will have to let dad know that I was curious myself on the hole.

Latest posts

Back