• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

long shot - Buehler mounts/rings Sako round action

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

deerhunter

I know this is a long shot, but I have a acquired a Browning Safari Grade (Sako round action) in 243. It has the adjustable B&L mount and scope. I'm looking to replace this set up with the Buehlers. Thanks for any info.

Chris

Very nice rifles, Chris. They are troublesome to find good mounts for, or at least the ones (mounts) I like. I have not come across Buehler mounts for them so I can't tell you much about them. I do know that there are millions of mounts made by Weaver that work but they are aluminum and I don't trust them. Been bit in the ass by weaver mounts, before. Make sure you get the right hole spacing for the bases and you should be good. The other thing I would add is "don't drill any more holes than what it came with from the factory. It will affect value, drastically.-Misako

You may be in luck. I prefer Buehler mounts to any other and have learned that they still are open part-time as the Buehler estate liquidates remaining inventory. Robert "Bob" Ray retired in 1994 when production ceased but he still comes to the shop on a part-time basis to assist folks looking for mounts. Buehler doesn't have rings anymore however those are much easier to find online than the bases. They can sometimes do minor custom work as well since they retain relationships with some of the old machinists. I had them modify generic bases to fit Schultz and Larsen M65DL & M68DL rifles and they are absolutely perfect. Checks and money orders only, no credit cards.

Contact Info:
Maynard P. Buehler Inc.
17 Orinda Way
Orinda, CA 94563
1.925.254.3201 (leave message)

Last edited:
Thank you very much for the info guys. Sakoseeker, I will definitely followup on the Contact that you provided. Much obliged! The top pic are the mounts that I'm interested in. The second pic is the actual rifle that I acquired in trade. Thanks again. Copy of Buehler mounts brownibg safari.jpg Browning Safari.jpg

Apparently, based on some internet research that I've done, Talley (part # 252718), Leupold 1 piece (#49988 - gloss), Leupold 2 piece (#50025 - gloss), as well as Weaver and Redfield still make bases for the Brownings with Sako round actions. I think I will give the Talley's a try if my Buehler search falls short. I agree Misako, I don't trust the aluminum weavers. I called Talley today and he said their bases should work. Thanks again.

I've never had a bit of trouble with the Weaver aluminum bases, but I like to use the Burris Z-rings or Millett CrosLoc rings with them. For that matter, the old, original, ugly Weaver rings are actually bull-strong, but they tend to roll the scope as the rings are tightened and have some unsightly projections that are best avoided by use of other rings.

I believe that Weaver offers some "premium" bases made of steel, as does at least one other manufacturer; however, I don't know if these are available for the round top Sako. One nice thing about the Sako is that both the bridge and receiver ring are the same height (unlike a Mauser, Win 70, or Rem 700), thus you can use a couple of the same blank bases (Leupold offers these) and drill them with the correct hole spacing for a custom fit.

Stonecreek, thanks for the info and sharing your experience with the Weaver bases. I'll look at those as well. I'm also a fan of the Burris signature Zee rings.

I've never had a bit of trouble with the Weaver aluminum bases, but I like to use the Burris Z-rings or Millett CrosLoc rings with them. For that matter, the old, original, ugly Weaver rings are actually bull-strong, but they tend to roll the scope as the rings are tightened and have some unsightly projections that are best avoided by use of other rings.

I believe that Weaver offers some "premium" bases made of steel, as does at least one other manufacturer; however, I don't know if these are available for the round top Sako. One nice thing about the Sako is that both the bridge and receiver ring are the same height (unlike a Mauser, Win 70, or Rem 700), thus you can use a couple of the same blank bases (Leupold offers these) and drill them with the correct hole spacing for a custom fit.

Like Deerhunter, I continue to look for bases for my Browning/Sako 22-250, the Leupold # 50025 will not work on my rifle from 1966, I did miss a set of Buelers that just sold on Ebay, and recently purchased the Redfield mount that supposedly fits, but does not. My front ring screw spacing is .750 and the Redfield and Browning bases were identical and .860. I am reasonably sure I could buy Conetrols, but the nice glossy blue ones are 200.00, I'm beginning to suspicion that I know what so many of these lovely rifles end up with broken stocks? Billy Magg

Back