• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

LSA 55 6MMRem

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

Bill Suter

I found one in a local shop that's in pretty nice condition except.......front and rear sights are missing. The factory recoil pad has been replaced with a pachmeyer but they did a nice job and it looks like the metal cover on the mag is missing. The metal, bore and stock are nice and looks to have been some what taken care of. But looks can be deceiving. Any idea of real world value?

Thanks

I can't give much more info than what I have already gave. I did see an older picture of a replacement mag that icebear had posted and it looked the same as the one that is in the rifle now so I guess there is no missing cover. The sights and the recoil pad are the only things missing or replaced. Other than that the rifle is very nice.

The missing sights are very common on standard grade M55/M65 (LSA) Tikkas. For some reason most owners seem to have removed them. The Deluxe grade models for the US market were made without sights. Correct sights are hard to find; maybe the owners just threw them away.

I wouldn't let the lack of sights keep you from buying an otherwise desirable rifle. The recoil pad is a matter of taste. Of course it's best if the stock has not been cut. Check the length of pull - if the stock hasn't been cut the LOP will be a bit longer than normal. I believe repro buttplates are available, if you want to replace the pad.

Recent sales of LSA-65 rifles on Gunbroker have been in the $500-700 range. The higher number sometimes includes a scope. The caliber might add a little value but there's not a lot of collector interest in the LSA models. The sights and pad are, of course, negative factors. A pair of original Tikka scope rings would add some value. Condition is everything.

Thanks icebear. I'm not per se a collector, I just like nice rifles. They were asking $599 for the rifle. Then he knocked of $60 making it $539. I get 5% military discount dropping it to $517 and tax. It does have a Simmons scope on it but that would be scraped ASAP. Buying a used rifle is always a flip of the coin on what you get. But that is the risk we take. I may take another trip to the store and give the LSA another look.

Sounds like a good deal to me - a fair price for a shooter grade LSA-65 in a rare caliber. Please post some photos - I'm sure I'm not the only one who is curious about it!

Good for you. Let's see some photos. I have the deluxe Ithaca marked version in 270 and find it a very good shooter. Like you I'm not a per se collector but think the older Tikka LSA's are well made and under appreciated and always on lookout for them in my travels.

I was trying to find out when it was made and got a little confused. The serial number is 555-120xxx. When looking it showed the 555 and beside it said prototype. Now I'm not sure what I have or when it was made.

I was trying to find out when it was made and got a little confused. The serial number is 555-120xxx. When looking it showed the 555 and beside it said prototype. Now I'm not sure what I have or when it was made.
IF Tikka, unlike Sako, actually ran its numbers in sequence, and IF the timeline in Arma Fennica is correct, your rifle was made in or around 1972.

Are you saying the rifle is stamped "prototype" or that there was some kind of paperwork describing it as a prototype? Need more info and photos.

I was just trying to find year of manufactured. When I saw the 555 all that was there was prototype. It was just a Google search. Can't even remember the site now. I doubt its anything special as it looks like ll the rest of them.

Back