• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

Ilves My little litter of rescues

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

Just wanted to share some pictures of some of the Sako Ilves rifles we have been able to rescue so far. I have truly fallen in love with the Sako rimfires and I hope that some of these more roughly treated little guys could maybe get the TLC that they deserve.

One of them is actually in pretty nice condition and one of them I am not even sure is an actual Sako. So I was hoping if someone with more knowledge about them could help me out a bit.

1000017507.jpg

Apparently the Ilves rifles seem to have the rear diopter sight missing quite often as well.
1000017508.jpg

IMG_20240419_101147.jpg IMG_20240419_101209.jpg IMG_20240419_101236.jpg IMG_20240419_101306.jpg IMG_20240419_101317.jpg
Also one of them has what seems to be a Tikkakoski barrel as well, and a scope mount over the part that would say Sako on it.
1000017514.jpg
Then this last one seems to have a very similar action as the rest but the rear sight is different. It is registered here in Finland as a Sako Ilves, so I don't know what it's story fully is yet.
1000017515.jpg
1000017516.jpg 1000017517.jpg
Anyways, thought some of you might know something or have some insight on this topic, or if nothing else, at least enjoy seeing some fun little pieces of Sako history.

I find the stocks on these rifles to be the most interesting aspect. No two seem to be the same on the couple dozen I have seen pictures of. It's like the owners carved on them for a "personal fit". I have little knowledge about their use, so anybody out there that does please ad your thoughts!

Interesting that the barrel contours vary as well. Some are rather light!
Light .. on the other hand..is not the category we are looking for in this application 😏
An Ilves would be a super addition to anyone’s collection!

That is awesome!
I think the ilves is such a interesting little rifle.
I had never heard about them until I was working on importing some other Sako rimfire rifles from Finland and the seller mentioned it to me.
I still could not find much except for a few obscure websites and forum posts (mostly in Finnish) but was able to find it was one of the earliest serial numbered rifles built by Sako commercially and only 300 were made. Made for 50m competition.
I ended up buying it (along with several other rimfires).
It is a very interesting action design that I do not think I have seen anything else like it.
Mine was in kinda sad shape and had a lot of dust and some light rust. It looks like it set in a closet or storage for who knows how many years. The action was very sticky from all the old dried grease.
After lots of work and figuring out on my own how to completely disassembly it (and the bolt) to clean and re lube, I got it working butter smooth.

Mine is missing the weights in the front of the stock (it is just hollow). Yours all appear to still have them.
It is also missing the ball on the bottom of the stock. But lucky, it still has the rear sight. It was bent, but I was able to carefully straighten it and it works fine now.

That very last one in your pictures is very interesting.
It looks like the ilves, but slightly different. The bolt body looks larger in diameter and the rear having the knurling and being longer makes me think it was either a gunsmith custom job, or some type of prototype?
It is definitely something interesting and I myself would love to know more about it.

Latest posts

Back