• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

Needing Advice regarding a Sako Aii ..

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

Hawkeye

Greetings everyone !

I have a (hopefully) minor problem with my 'new' Sako Aii in .243 win and I am hoping that I can get advice here to solve it.

My Sako originally came with iron sights which were removed by some previous owner. Each sight had 2 bolts fixing it to the barrel. When the sights were removed, the owner did not fill in the 4 bolt holes with plug bolts.

Question 1: Is there any danger firing a rifle that has open bolt holes where the iron sights used to be? ..... (I assume the answer is no, but where firearms are concerned I'm always very cautious)

Question 2: Before I contact Sako in Finland to determine the availabilty of new replacements, I am curious .. Is there anyone on this forum who has a used set of either Sako iron sights with mounting bolts or 4 plug bolts to fill the holes?

Thanks in advance ..

- Hawkeye

As Misako50 said it's ok to go shooting, as for replacement sights it's not uncommon for guys to take them off for scope clearance. These takeoff sights show up a lot on the various auction sites. As for filling the holes you just need the thread size and I'm sure Brownells or other gunsmith supply house can fix you up. I'm not so sure you'll find plugs which install flush and if your going to scope the rifle you'll probably end up removing that sight anyway.

enotstehw kindly sent me threaded plugs from one of his Sakos (thank you, sir!). However, in trying to install them a problem has developed .. and both he and I are hoping that someone else on this forum might be able to help:

After the threaded plugs arrived, I measured the length of the plugs and that seems to exactly match the depth of the holes in the barrel of my Sako A2. But, when I tried to screw them in .. they will only go in 1/2 way. Using a magnifying glass, I checked the holes but there does not appear to be any crud, either at the bottom or in the threads. So, after lightly oiling the barrel holes, I tried again .. but they still only go in about 1/2 way (approx. = 2 turns). This was the same result for all 4 barrel holes. I do not want to try to force them in as that will strip their threads and then they will be stuck 1/2 in permanently.

Does anyone know of any reason why the plugs won't screw in ?

Sounds like you have a different thread pattern. I would take the gun to your local gunsmith and she if they have the correct ones. Good luck....emmerth

Back