• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

cuttysark

Hi, new member from Scotland, started my shooting career many years ago with a Sako Vixen 222, just recently purchased another one for fox control and wanted to find out what age it is.

Cheers

"Vixen" doesn't tell us what model action you have, it just tells us it is a short action Sako. As it is chambered in 222 Rem, I would assume you have a L46 (which may or may not be stamped with L46) or you have a L461 which will be stamped on the left side of the receiver. Click on "Factory Records Service" at the top of this page & if your rifle's serial number falls within the range our club has records for you can request a records search. If it is not within our data base, pictures would allow us to estimate it's age by the different features & modifications Sako made over the years. You can peruse the forum section on Sako Short Actions to find out more about your rifle. Welcome to the forum!

"Vixen" doesn't tell us what model action you have, it just tells us it is a short action Sako. As it is chambered in 222 Rem, I would assume you have a L46 (which may or may not be stamped with L46) or you have a L461 which will be stamped on the left side of the receiver. Click on "Factory Records Service" at the top of this page & if your rifle's serial number falls within the range our club has records for you can request a records search. If it is not within our data base, pictures would allow us to estimate it's age by the different features & modifications Sako made over the years. You can peruse the forum section on Sako Short Actions to find out more about your rifle. Welcome to the forum!
Hi, serial number in picture, probably frowned upon but I had the rifle cerakoted for protection when in use, we get a lot of rain in the west coast of Scotland😂 6B827785-49DE-4BB0-BB20-CBAFD9C343C2.jpeg

Welcome Cuttysark, love that username 😎
some Scottish hunting pics would be great if you’d like to share…

Welcome Cuttysark, love that username 😎
some Scottish hunting pics would be great if you’d like to share…
A couple of species from the highlands of Scotland, the red stag not shot with the vixen.😜

Attachments

• 93A5E06E-D0EE-4C2A-B526-B672A8604194.jpeg
    93A5E06E-D0EE-4C2A-B526-B672A8604194.jpeg
    407.8 KB · Views: 28
  • 660C983B-184A-4C6B-A37F-85E1583BFD5D.jpeg
    660C983B-184A-4C6B-A37F-85E1583BFD5D.jpeg
    438.6 KB · Views: 28
  • 58B48917-A88D-4943-8A54-740B722CE778.jpeg
    58B48917-A88D-4943-8A54-740B722CE778.jpeg
    310.4 KB · Views: 28
  • A2573EC6-B4E3-4D65-90FD-B848D5ADBCA2.jpeg
    A2573EC6-B4E3-4D65-90FD-B848D5ADBCA2.jpeg
    308.6 KB · Views: 28
I don't think I've ever seen such dark antlers on a Red Deer as that in the first photo. Is that a frequent occurrence in that area?

Yes, when cleaning their antlers of velvet late July/ august, they will thrash Sitka spruce, pine etc and pick up a lot of sap on the antler, also moving through thicket pine/spruce,…..then wallowing, thrashing about in peat holes they will pick up the dark colour from the peat onto the antler, the tips of the prominent points remaining smooth and white.

Latest posts

Back