• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

New Purchase L46 7x33 Sako SN 24xx

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

Matti:

I believe I have the butt plate covered, I am working Eves over the next three days maybe we can get together this weekend? Is Acraglass available over the counter in Sudbury? I have the L61R in need of some.

Bob

Yes, we have Acraglass on hand at the Shooter's Den, and the price is not too dear. I should be around sat., but will probably be going to Orillia on Sunday if I don't have my daughter this upcoming weekend. We'll see. Acraglass ordinarily comes with Brown and Black dyes, in Gel or liquid form. While the gel is helpful in fuilling applications, the liquid is the best penetrator. I when you've done mixing, you have a few minutes to work, then when it"Kicks" it gets really hot and seems to temporarily take-on a near-water like viscosity. It is the best thing I've ever used for tang and other cracks. The dark finished birch some of the early Sakos were done-in seems to be what's supposed to be a permangeanate or something, like the military rifles.( Not Pine Tar as in Legend; no they did not do the skis and rifles at the same time! I did have a n SA marked Tanker-style Tokarev with what I was sure was blood and Teeth-marks in the Butt) I have done kentucky rifle finishes of similar bent with Chromium Trioxide crystals in water, with a torch; it's also used in the backs of fiddles. Makes the hard parts stand-out of the grain. I'll be in touch.

Matti:

Not sure what type of finish is on the stock, the does feel a little sticky and there are some runs.

What is the address for Shooters Den, may take a trip up on Friday.

Bob

Hello RugerBob,
Just to say that I have never seen an L46 with Oy Sako A.B. on the side of the receiver. My L46 .22 Hornet was made in 1952, and that one has only Sako followed by Riihimaki.
If this was my Rifle I would go for a complete restoration. A suberb gem.
Regards Blackjack AKA Mike {The Limey}

I believe its 469 Bouchard st. Give dennis a call at 705-522-2772. He is there till 9 Fridays, I get there around 5 or 6 after work. There's a restaurant called Gloria's Restaurant that is on the corner of Regent and Bouchard, he is downstairs from the main entrance, in the basement. I think I have a .303 to drill and tap tomorrow, you should bring the gun with you as Friday night is always "Show and Tell" night.

Sako Fans:
Did any of you see this 7x33 that sold at auction this past fall? Looks like a later one, SN 34119, but a very nice condition L46 in 7x33.
It sold for $1872 (I think that includes buyer's premium). My question is, was that about right or a good deal (or maybe even a great deal)?
Thanks.
ASF
PS - I didn't even get a chance to bid....

I didn't even get a chance to bid.... </p> -asf said:
Sako Fans:
Did any of you see this 7x33 that sold at auction this past fall? Looks like a later one, SN 34119, but a very nice condition L46 in 7x33.
It sold for $1872 (I think that includes buyer's premium). My question is, was that about right or a good deal (or maybe even a great deal)?
Thanks.
ASF
PS
Obviously, condition is exceedingly important to price. The few 7x33's in circulation are usually well-used guns like the one being discussed in this thread. "As new" or "98%" condition 7x33's are almost unheard of. So, if the one in the auction was close to the "like new" category I would say that the auction price was a fair price, or even a bargain. Of course, this assumes that the buyer is truly interested in Sakos and will derive significant pleasure from owning the piece.

That is why I've advised that a nice restoration of Rugerbob's gun is probably a good way to go. Collectors don't want to give much for guns in poor condition, nor are "restored" guns nearly as attractive to collectors. But nicely restored to original condition would make any 7x33 highly desirable. The value of the gun after restoration would only be about what its current value and the cost of restoration would come to, but it would be a much more enjoyable gun to own and shoot.

His gun really doesn't look that bad, a lot of people go big into the restore and end-up making-it worth half. Myself, I would rather have the character of a well loved gun. It has stories to tell. My friend bought a Schmidt Rubin, K31 and raves about-it. I asked him, What kinda Finnlander are you, lots of the Mosin Nagants from Finland have Swiss barrels and are at least as accurate, but a surplus gun from a neutral country has no spirits in-it. If a tiny country had so many russians on the border, and after 100 and some days, ended-up with a 10 to 1 kill ratio(25:1 atKaalaajarvi), chances-are someone is living in your gun. Much nicer.

Who knows how many Seals, or Metso or Reindeer his rifle has taken. Once we develop the technology to make rifles talk.........

"Metso" translates to "capercaillie", which is a collapsible butt stock. Have no idea what or how this fits in. Guess they taste good with an aromatic brandy:bigsmile3:.
Kalajarvi means "fish lake". "Kaalaajarvi means "Cabbage Lake" I believe the battle at "Karjalan Kannas", a large piece of peninsula-like land between the Gulf of Finland and a very large other body of water (Today, the name recommended is the correct spelling of the Karelian isthmus) inland where Russia and Finland border, is where the kill ratio was estimated at 25:1 during the Winter War.
S-A

Just did a little editing. It might very well be a Scandinavian Turkey, as Finland is not a Scandinavian country (technically):wink2:

OK- I am done splittin hairs here! I thought calling it a Scandinavian Turkey would be nice to say. Now it will just be a northern turkey "wannabe". So there!
t.gif
-Misako

Latest posts

Back