• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

Nice!

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

We don’t see a lot of early Deluxe’s over here so have not been able to compare many.
I believe that the L57’s in .308 did not have the crossbolt, so at what point were they introduced in the early L579’s ?

We don’t see a lot of early Deluxe’s over here so have not been able to compare many.
I believe that the L57’s in .308 did not have the crossbolt, so at what point were they introduced in the early L579’s ?
Strange to think that the Land Down Under would be short in DeLux rifles but seems to yield a abundance of 7x33’s, Hornets and Bee’s! I’d swap one of my .308’s for a comparable 7x33! If you ever come up here to the states bring one and look me up!:)
I have a L57 DeLux .308 , a later Bofors stamped example that does not have a cross bolt. All my L579’s in .308 have them. It’s my belief that when Sako introduced the L61R long action the recoil cross bolt came with it. Higher recoiling long action calibers required something more to reduce the stress at the front lug. I think Sako decided to use it as precautionary efforts to protect the L579’s chambered in the heavy hitting .308 win , which can be loaded with 165-200 grain pills. It my opinion that the recoil cross bolt was introduced in ‘61 in Foresters chambered in .308Win along with the new long action L61R.

bloo

......I have a L57 DeLux .308 , a later Bofors stamped example that does not have a cross bolt. All my L579’s in .308 have them. It’s my belief that when Sako introduced the L61R long action the recoil cross bolt came with it. 9’s chambered in the heavy hitting .308 win , which can be loaded with 165-200 grain pills.....It my opinion that the recoil cross bolt was introduced in ‘61 in Foresters chambered in .308Win along with the new long action L61R. bloo

I think you're right on regarding the recoil lug. The first catalog to mention the recoil lug is the mid 1962 catalog. I've attached a scan of a page from the 62 catalog touting the recoil lug in the 308. The 61 catalog introducing the L579 does not mention the lug nor do the Foresters pictured in the 61 show the lug. The mid 62 catalog mentions the lug, but the pictures of the Foresters in the 62 do not show an example of a 308 with lug, probably because the pictures in the 62 are the same pictures used in the 1961 catalog.

Forester Recoil Lug.jpg

Very interesting..no mention of a .22-250 yet.
It seems the Vixen was Sako’s flagship rifle during the early 60’s, as they refer to or compare the new Forester to it. The L461 was gaining popularity across Europe and America.
I loved those old FI catalogs , Grand dad had a few , along with some even more interesting magazines underneath that grandma wasn’t very happy with.
No wonder I name all my Sako’s after women…:D

edit: The 22-250 was commercially introduced around ‘65 .

bloo

Last edited by a moderator:
Wait, you have names for your rifles? Like “Martha” or “Janet?” Or are they Finnish names?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Very interesting..no mention of a .22-250 yet.
edit: The 22-250 was commercially introduced around ‘65 .
bloo
Ironically, Sako was building .22-250's on their L579 for Browning when the cartridge was still a wildcat -- one of the few factory chamberings for a wildcat cartridge by a major manufacturer. This was several years before they finally built one of their own as a Forester.

Back