• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

Picked up a brand new Sako 75 Finnlight

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

waterwolf

I recently bought a brand new Sako Model 75 Finnlight (stainless with fluted barrel) in 30-06.

I've never really looked over a Model 75 before and in comparison with my Sako 85s, I note various changes, particularly to the bolt, but to other parts as well. For instance, the switch to a steel trigger guard. It looks to me like the 85 is just a simplified version of the 75. What was the purpose of all these small changes? Just cost cutting or is the 85 really the improved rifle?

Last edited:
I've never examined a 75. Is the bottom metal on your 75 alloy, since you mention a switch to a steel trigger guard? Two other changes that I've read about are dropping some sort of key-lock system on the 75s (which apparently didn't impress too many folks) and the change to the bolt face rim allowing Sako's version of controlled round feed (which really isn't) on the 85. I'd be interested in learning more about the transition from the 75 to the 85.

The bottom metal on the 75 is an almost white alloy, with a slight texture, like it's been bead-blasted.

I understand the key-lock system was abandoned after a while. Mine has the bolt shroud for it, but no key...I assume a lot of guys just threw the keys (far) away.

The whole "controlled round feed" concept as advertised on an 85 seems to mean nearly nothing, just a bit of publicity (I have several Oberndorf Mauser sporters with real CRF and I know the actual benefits, as well as the deficits of the system.) The bolt on the 75 is more substantial than the 85, with more machining. And the big steel recoil lug on the 75 certainly looks more substantial (trustworthy?) than the one on the 85.

The clip magazine is easy to remove, not like the irritating two-stage release catch on the 85.

The 85 bolt is marginally smoother than the 75, I think because of the groove in the top locking lug, and maybe because of its simpler overall design. The bolt handle on the 75 is slightly longer and more swept back than on the 85.

When I got a chance to buy a brand new Sako 75 Finnlight stainless at a bargain price, I switched to the Sako from my Tikka T3. I had tried out 85s before and didn't find one I liked. (For instance, my "Bavarian" fullstock carbine turned out to be a heavy unbalanced log ...and I have owned plenty of real Mannlicher–Schönauer carbines with which to compare it.)

The 75 stock is great. I could explain that some other time.

I know that a lot of the guys with 75s seem to prefer them to the 85s.

Last edited:
The triggers in both my 75 and my 85 break right at 3.5 lb. Since both are new, I assume that is the factory setting. It suits me fine, but easy enough to adjust if you want to.

Also, at least in Canada, new 75 magazines cost only half the price of the 85 mags. They are very similar, but will not interchange, The 75s are slightly wider.

Last edited:
I had a 75 Finnlight in 300 WinMag which I (in retrospect) foolishly sold to justfy buying a very expensive scope.I have been looking for another one ever since. If anyone hears of one in Canada I'd love a head's up.Preferably in 300WinMag or 300WSM.

Love my 75 .300wm, not a Finnlight though.
Sako really nailed it with the 75’s, they should have left it at that, with perhaps the 85 magazine release. Great rifles.
IMG_1358.jpeg

I recently bought a brand new Sako Model 75 Finnlight (stainless with fluted barrel) in 30-06.

I've never really looked over a Model 75 before and in comparison with my Sako 85s, I note various changes, particularly to the bolt, but to other parts as well. For instance, the switch to a steel trigger guard. It looks to me like the 85 is just a simplified version of the 75. What was the purpose of all these small changes? Just cost cutting or is the 85 really the improved rifle?
My cousin Kari bought one in Finland in the first year of production. It had a SAKO 75 Medallion on the grip cap and Kari said that it came with a 75 year warranty! (Only for first year with "Sako 75" medallion). It is a very good gun and as I recall was stainless but not fluted. It survived getting run-over by a quad but needed a stock. They only had synthetic on hand from the factory and it's almost like it got it's own seat on the plane and showed-up in time to finish the season. The 30mm Red-dot was damaged and Kari pulled the original Bushnell whatever scope out of the case and threw-it on with the original 1" SAKO rings and shot another deer with-it. The zero on the scope hadn't changed in 2 or 3 seasons in the case.

Latest posts

Back