• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

Please help identifying my first Sako

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

leith

Hello I just acquired a used Sako rifle. I believe it is a model 75 Hunter, but I'm not sure. Can anyone tell me more based on this serial number?

Many thanks

Leith
PXL_20240108_003145180.jpg

The serial number tells us nothing. The Roman numeral III stamping on the receiver tells us it is a Model 75 medium action size for the 22-250, 243, 308 class cartridges. The Model 75 was made in several action sizes denoted by a roman numeral stamped on the receiver. Roman numeral "I" was for the 222, 223 size rounds, IV was the long action for the 30-06 class rounds, V was the Magnum round action for the 7mm, 300 magnum, etc rounds. Sako intended to make a II action size for the PPC rounds as preproduction advertising stated, but never put it into production.

OK, thanks for confirming that it's a model 75 medium action size. It is a 243. Is there any way to know if it's the varmint or hunter variation, or if there's a way to find out the date of manufacture?

The distinction between the two is: the Hunter model has a standard taper barrel and a stock which is consistent. A heavy barrel or varmint model comes with a heavier taper and the fore stock will taper out wider to its end. The difference between the two is pretty obvious. Maybe another picture of the complete rifle would help to remove any ambiguity. The 75 series rifle was made from 96 to 06, unfortunately there isn’t records available to properly date it.

OK, thanks for confirming that it's a model 75 medium action size. It is a 243. Is there any way to know if it's the varmint or hunter variation, or if there's a way to find out the date of manufacture?
There is a forum section that is specific to the Model 75, 85, & A7. If you would take a moment to peruse the threads there you will see the difference & be able to review discussions about your rifle. All the info you want is just a simple mouse click away!

The distinction between the two is: the Hunter model has a standard taper barrel and a stock which is consistent. A heavy barrel or varmint model comes with a heavier taper and the fore stock will taper out wider to its end. The difference between the two is pretty obvious. Maybe another picture of the complete rifle would help to remove any ambiguity. The 75 series rifle was made from 96 to 06, unfortunately there isn’t records available to properly date it.
PXL_20240108_181419408.jpg
OK, here is the complete rifle. Thanks for your help.

That's the standard sporter or "Hunter" model. I love cans!! Tell us about it.
"Cans"? If you mean the suppressor, that's a 6mm non-magnum modular suppressor made by DPT in New Zealand. You can modify your suppressor by adding or removing modules. I think that the one I have on the Sako 75 is a 'forward muzzle' suppressor rather than 'over barrel'. It is half the length and much lighter than others I've used, but perhaps less effective. Maybe I need to add some modules.

"Cans"? If you mean the suppressor, that's a 6mm non-magnum modular suppressor made by DPT in New Zealand. You can modify your suppressor by adding or removing modules. I think that the one I have on the Sako 75 is a 'forward muzzle' suppressor rather than 'over barrel'. It is half the length and much lighter than others I've used, but perhaps less effective. Maybe I need to add some modules.
"Cans" is a slang word for suppressor over here. We don't see them in specific caliber sizes like 6mm. Ours usually come in 22 or 30 caliber & are used for any caliber smaller. The bigger rifle cans come in 35 & 45 cal. All my cans are "serviceable", meaning they have internal baffles, can be taken apart, & cleaned. Welded cans are becoming more available, but are very difficult to clean. Are those individual baffle sections that can be added or removed on yours?

"Cans" is a slang word for suppressor over here. We don't see them in specific caliber sizes like 6mm. Ours usually come in 22 or 30 caliber & are used for any caliber smaller. The bigger rifle cans come in 35 & 45 cal. All my cans are "serviceable", meaning they have internal baffles, can be taken apart, & cleaned. Welded cans are becoming more available, but are very difficult to clean. Are those individual baffle sections that can be added or removed on yours?
Ah OK thanks for explaining about "cans". Yes, these are removable baffle sections. You can buy additional sections to modify the can. I'll be giving this one a good clean out. I don't think it's ever been taken apart by the previous owner.

Does the Sako 75 have the option to use detachable mags? I'm hoping so as I find loading the internal mag a little awkward with the scope in place.

I thought all 75's came with a detachable magazine that could also be loaded from the action port like an internal box. Didn't they have a special release that locked the mag in place? I know very little about the 75's, so maybe others can comment.

Last edited:
Does the Sako 75 have the option to use detachable mags?
The 75 series came both ways, DBM and internal box and hinged floor plate. Midwest Gun Works sells (or sold) genuine Sako bottom metal, the magazine release, and the DBM for the correct action length. Not sure if there are other options, brands out there.

The 75 series came both ways, DBM and internal box and hinged floor plate. Midwest Gun Works sells (or sold) genuine Sako bottom metal, the magazine release, and the DBM for the correct action length. Not sure if there are other options, brands out there.
OK that's good to know. Thanks for your help

Latest posts

Back