• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

removing mannlicher rear sight

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

bigbear

I have a new mannlicher sako in 308, looks like it'sunfired. It has rear sights. I'd like to remove them so I can use peep sight. It looks like it is held in place with a single screw. Will I be doing a horrible , irreversible evil if I remove it? I don't plan to ever sell it

No problem. Yours is likely the Williams rear sight and can be removed by first losening the lock screw on the sight elevator and sliding the sight blade off, then removing the mounting screw(s) from the sight base. You can find filler screws from some place like Brownell's or perhaps Midway USA.

I can confirm that Forster Plug Screws 6-48 x 1/8" work perfectly for this job. Product #: 835122 at Midway USA. Brownells and Numrich did not have them in stock last time I checked.

Resurrecting this thread to ask about removing a Mannlicher .308 front sight as well. (Just don't like the ghost image in the scope.) Is it just held on with a single screw? Not silver soldered or anything? Same 6-48 x 1/8" plug screw?

It depends on its age. Older front sights were silver soldered in place and when removed leave an unsightly bare patch in the bluing. Later front sights were simply screwed in place. I'm not sure when the changeover occurred, but if you don't see any screw heads in your front sight ramp (or underneath the sight blade), then it is soldered.

Latest posts

Back