• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

Ruger 77 .250 Savage crazy !!!

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

barrels from a contractor.
Absolutely, I know I’ve commented recently-but I remain blown away by the prices being paid for many rifles (pick a brand) which often exhibit sub-standard quality.

I guess when I find nice clean Sako for 1K or less, I feel like I’ve won the lottery.

I’ve shot this one a little bit. It hovers @1” with 85 and 100 gr Noslers. I still have new to me Sakos that I need to shoot and eke out loads.

Scarce, alright, but most of those early M77's had sorry barrels from a contractor. Shot patterns, not groups.
I wasn't aware of that. It would account for a .22-250 I had a long time ago. Thing wouldn't shoot no matter what ammo I tried in it. I had taken it as a trade on a rifle I sold and I dumped it at a show a few months later. That was the only Ruger 77 I ever owned, and the only .22-250.

That was the only Ruger 77 I ever owned
I only have one 77 and it happens to be in .250, that’s why I’m messing with gowyo. Probably going to head to a really good show this coming weekend to see if I can trade or profit from it.

I do own a couple of No. 1 rifles. One is a very old 6MM light sporter which is wonderful. Spectacular wood. The other is an international in .250. Haven’t even tried it out yet, but it’s a hoot to pick up and shoulder.

I have a Ruger 77 Mark II in 22-250 and it shoots .750 groups with just about any factory ammo. Timney trigger helps.
Never reloaded for it. Probably would do better if I did. Good enough for squirrels I guess...lol Still like my Sako varmint
22-250 though the best.

Attachments

• Ruger6.jpg
    Ruger6.jpg
    319.7 KB · Views: 7
  • Ruger3.jpg
    Ruger3.jpg
    180.6 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:
My experience with Ruger rifles thru the 80’s was what helped me fall in love with the first Sako I shot.
They did ok as far as hunting was concerned but the accuracy was determined by how many shots were in the paper plate. I was happy with an 2” group on the bench.
I will say that the Ruger Rimfires .. especially the bolt actions were exceptional in accuracy.

I wasn't aware of that. It would account for a .22-250 I had a long time ago. Thing wouldn't shoot no matter what ammo I tried in it. I had taken it as a trade on a rifle I sold and I dumped it at a show a few months later. That was the only Ruger 77 I ever owned, and the only .22-250.
I saw a Weatherby Vanguard like that in .22-250. It would only ever shoot 55 grains and nothing else. It would have been a good firehose because it just went all-over the embankment.

My experience with Ruger rifles thru the 80’s was what helped me fall in love with the first Sako I shot.
They did ok as far as hunting was concerned but the accuracy was determined by how many shots were in the paper plate. I was happy with an 2” group on the bench.
I will say that the Ruger Rimfires .. especially the bolt actions were exceptional in accuracy.
I guess it was the luck of the draw back then. My best friend's father bought a brand-new Ruger 77 in .338 and you could not miss with-it. That was like 1983-4? My Father's 77mkII in stainless with the Kayak paddle Stock was very deadly in .338 too and that was from the early 90's. It just had a lot of burrs that had to be dealt with first.

I can't say as I have seen a SAKO that wouldn't shoot. My uncles had a bulge in the barrel, just after the end of the fore end, and still shot.

I
I owned an early Ruger 77 in .22-250 which did okay. I also owned a beautifully restocked early Ruger 77 in 6mm Remington which was challenged to hit the proverbial barn side. The stock job was splendid so I hated to get rid of it, but get rid of it I did. Haven't had much in the way of serious shooting rifles other than Sakos since (although some Oregon Kimbers and German Kricos have crept into my safe over the years.)

I had a 77V in .22-250. Shot out the bbl and sent it to Ruger for rebarreling. 115.00 @2000. I later sold it to my nephew for 300.00. It lives on.

Latest posts

Back