• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

Sako Finn bear twist Rate

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

Hi Johan,
I think your rifle has a 1 in 10 twist, Some other members that are more versed about such things than I, will please chime in. The 30/06 is a very good Caliber & is used all over the world for many kinds of game animals. Pics. would be welcome!! B/T

Welcome Johan, What game do you hunt with your 3006. We have a few other members from RSA. Wayne

Hi Johan,
I think your rifle has a 1 in 10 twist, Some other members that are more versed about such things than I, will please chime in. The 30/06 is a very good Caliber & is used all over the world for many kinds of game animals. Pics. would be welcome!! B/T

Attachments

• Blouwildebeest June 2022.jpg
    Blouwildebeest June 2022.jpg
    372.8 KB · Views: 12
It seems these posts are getting somewhat out of order. New system has kinks, How may I help? B/T

I do have a Finn Bear delux in 3006, would like to know the twist rate so I can get the best bullets for the rifle in order to get the best performance from the gun

Sako L61r twist rates: circa 1961

.264 - 1-9”

.30-06
.338 WM - 1- 10”

.300 H&H
.375 H&H - 1- 12”

Sako L579 Twist rates: ‘61

.308 - 1-10”

.244 - 1- 12”

Sako L 46 / 461 Twist rates: ‘61

.222 mag - 1 - 14”

Early barrels had 12 lands and grooves!

Bloo

Last edited:
Note that Sako twist rates may be the near metric equivalents when expressed in inches. For instance, my .244 measures appx 11.25", not the published 12". That appx 11.25 might be 28 or 29, cm, depending on how accurately it is measured. 1-12" would equal about 30.5 cm.

I've seen the .222 Magnum twist rate listed at 1-12" for the Sako Vixen. Not sure if it was different than the .222, or if someone just made an assumption and published it. Similarly, the very early .222 barrels on the L46 appear to have the same barrels used on the Hornets and measure appx 1-16".

I hear people ask the question about barrel twist frequently these days. It seems to be the fashion to blame accuracy problems on "twist". Regardless, the only way to actually know the twist of a given barrel is to measure it with the "tight patch on cleaning rod" method.

I wonder if Sako ( or other European manufacturers) has ever published or otherwise posted actual metric twist rates? In European publications maybe? That would make sense…

Last edited:
I wonder if Sako ( or other European manufacturers) has ever published or otherwise posted actual metric twist rates? In European publications maybe? That would make sense…
Just Google CIP twist rate specs & a chart showing all the twist rates in millimeters per revolution for all CIP recognized cartridges is available. As stonecreek said they are the metric equivalent to the SAAMI specs, but not "exactly" the same. For example the CIP twist for the 222 Rem is 356mm which equals 14.02". Very close to the SAAMI spec of 14". The 6.5 Swede is 220mm which is 8.67" but the SAMMI spec is 9".

Lol…I keep forgetting that I have the answers to everything right here in the palm of my hand…
Just Google CIP twist rate specs & a chart showing all the twist rates in millimeters per revolution for all CIP recognized cartridges is available. As stonecreek said they are the metric equivalent to the SAAMI specs, but not "exactly" the same. For example the CIP twist for the 222 Rem is 356mm which equals 14.02". Very close to the SAAMI spec of 14". The 6.5 Swede is 220mm which is 8.67" but the SAMMI spec is 9".
I had just clicked “post reply” when the thought crossed my mind. Of course I can google it.
I guess I have more fun asking you guys

Interesting comment from Bloo

.300 H&H
.375 H&H - 1- 12”

300 H&H with 1-12" ??? Is that a typo or good info from a reliable source - not doubting your info - just surprised and will check mine at next opp as had always assumed it was 1-10"

or am i misreading something here - also very possible

cheers

CIP/SAAMI spec for the 300 H&H is a 10 twist. The 375 H&H is a 12 twist. The 30-06 is a 10 twist, so I doubt Sako would have made 12 twist 30 cal barrels just for the 300 H&H. I think Bloo made a typo. Measure yours & let us know.

Early 196o’s FI catalog…it lists both H&H chamberings with 1-12” could still be a mistake tho. Catalogs are quite notorious for misinformation. I’m just notorious for sharing it! Sorry guys 😬

Last edited:
Yes all very interesting But they did make 30 cal barrels in 12" ie then chambered for 308. - I will check mine to see and report back.

Latest posts

Back