• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

Sako forester deluxe

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

jscriv93

Hello my name is Joe. I just recently started collecting Samos. I have the finnbear deluxe in 25-06 and 30-06 but recently someone posted this Sako Forester deluxe in 308 on our local radio station the country sale and I bought it from the gentleman. It is in great shape. No scratched or blemishes. It also has made in Washington DC on the bottom of the barrel. I was wonder if someone could put a value to it for me and kinda tell me what it’s worth. Thank you

Attachments

• Resized952023053095104831.jpeg
    Resized952023053095104831.jpeg
    124.1 KB · Views: 33
  • Resized952023053095104806.jpeg
    Resized952023053095104806.jpeg
    50.4 KB · Views: 32
  • Resized952023053095104818.jpeg
    Resized952023053095104818.jpeg
    109.5 KB · Views: 33
Hey Joe, Send some pics of the barrel just forward of the action on both sides of the rifle & the "Made in Washington DC" marking you refer to. This will be helpful to help appraise for value.

The rifle was made in Finland! The importer to the USA at that time was Firearms International, which was located in Washington, D.C. The importer mark on the rifle was a requirement of the 1968 Gun Control Act.

Last edited:
The rifle was made in Finland! The importer to the USA at that time was Firearms International, which was located in Washington, D.C. The importer mark on the rifle was a requirement of the 1968 Gun Control Act.

That makes sense... I haven't seen one of those here in Aus. Still want to see it though. Send some pics :)

Hey Joe, Send some pics of the barrel just forward of the action on both sides of the rifle & the "Made in Washington DC" marking you refer to. This will be helpful to help appraise for value.

Attachments

• IMG_0923.jpeg
    IMG_0923.jpeg
    229.8 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_0924.jpeg
    IMG_0924.jpeg
    239.6 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_0925.jpeg
    IMG_0925.jpeg
    243.3 KB · Views: 23
Very cool. You've got yourself a nice rifle there.

In Australia, you would be looking at somewhere in the vicinity of $3,000-$3,500 rifle & rings only.

This is "best retail" expectation and in Australian Dollars.

As Paulson says, the Gun Control Act of 1968 required the importer's name and address (at least city) to be marked permanently on the gun. Firearms International complied with this by having very light gray "print" saying "Firearms International, Wash. DC" on the underside of the barrel just in front of the forearm. Curiously, FI's facility was actually in Maryland (or was it Virginia, can't recall?), but its postal zip code was Washington. By the way, I always thought that Washington, D.C., with so many firearms restrictions and very little in the way of warehousing/wholesaling would be an unlikely place for a gun importer to operate. The FI facility actually being outside of D.C. proper explains the address.

When Garcia took over as the importer they apparently continued to use the old FI facility for a while, thus the Wash DC address. Just as curiously, Garcia used some kind of subsidiary called "Impecco" which did its overseas business, so the factory records for most Sakos imported by Garcia are listed as being shipped to "Impecco". I say most, because very occasionally we'll come across a lot which was listed as shipped to "Garcia". Like the jumble of serial numbers, mixing of old/new parts, etc., this is just one more Sako curiosity to mull over.

Latest posts

Back