• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

Sako L579 forester model year info

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

68 c10

Can any tell me how to figure out the year my Sako L579 Forester 243win was made and a approximate value? Serial #98*** . Thanks It has sako scope mounts and a scope and strap.

without the original hang tag there is no precise way to know when the rifle was built but based on the hang tag info we have a rough estimate would be 1970 or 1971.As far as value with out pictures its tough to even giv an estimate.standard or deluxe will make a difference condition will make a difference and to some degree the scope will as well.scopes dont add much value unless they are high end models

One sees this question a lot from first time posters. You must think we are all quite gifted to assume we can appraise a rifle over the internet, sight unseen, based only on the serial number & the fact it has a "scope, scope mounts, & a strap". All of unknown condition & origin. Believe me when I say we are not that gifted.

Our only real gift is this forum...along with ones personal studies of auction sites such as Gunbroker and such. Best to watch these sites and look for comparable models in simlar conditions as the rifle you own. some prices you will see will be higher than they should be and some will be lower than you imagined.
One of the answers I see the most is this...The value of a firearm or anything else of value for that matter..is the sum of what the seller and the buyer agree to and walk away smiling. The exact total is between you and the other guy. One man will only pay what he justifies and the other will only sell for what he feels is fair.....the rest is simple barter.~Bloorooster

Last edited:
Can any tell me how to figure out the year my Sako L579 Forester 243win was made and a approximate value? Serial #98*** . Thanks It has sako scope mounts and a scope and strap.
Many folks on this forum are well versed on current Sako values, although there is always room for some difference of opinion.

But it is essential to know the configuration and grade (there are at least four different possibilities for your Forester), the condition (which is best illustrated with clear close-up photos), and the particulars of any accessories like the make (and even height) of the scope mounts, and the make, model, and condition of the scope itself. The basic description of your gun would include one worth $500 (a standard sporter model with beat up, cracked stock; corroded metal; and throw-away Chinese scope) to one worth $5,000 (a unique Deluxe grade Mannlicher NIB with an expensive Swarovski scope in original high Sako extension rings). Your rifle probably falls somewhere in between, but without details it is impossible to say just where.

68 c10... Pictures will help us to give you a good guess at value, and we get to benefit at the same time by seeing a beautiful Sako.

Latest posts

Back