• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

Sako L579 never used

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

peps

Hello, my name is Erik and I live in Sweden. First I would like to thank you all for this nice forum.
I recently came across a never used sako action and barrel. ItxB4s a sako L579 varmint (.308), the serialnumber is 64XXX.
My plan is to buy a nice stock for it and use it. Before I do that I would like to ensure that Im not doing anything stupid. I guess there arent many unused L579 out there. Is there any extra value in it because it is unused?
/Erik

peps,
Thanks for joining the conversation. Good to have you with us. You make a good question. Since you are going to use it, then half of your answer is on the table. The best part is that you will have a "new" rifle! If it came with the original stock, then that is something different to consider. The attitiudes may be different in Europe, as I think SAKO sold more barreled actions alone there than anyplace else.
I think there is some added value if there is a box with original hang tag and papers to show it was sold as a barreled action. Then you have a decision to make, because any unused SAKO barreled action will command higher prices, yet not those of a complete rifle.
If you are going to shoot it, then if you can't find a "period" stock, then you have the nice makings for a semi-custom rifle.
In the end, it is up to you. I know you have the 6 rifle limit to consider. I'm sure others will post their thoughts here as well.
I certainly would like to have your "problem" to deal with:wink2:
S-A

Hello Peps,
Can we see some photographs of your .308 Win. Sako H.B. barreled action? I too have one of these, except mine is a complete rifle made in 1970.
Regards Blackjack AKA Mike {The Limey}

It didnxB4t came with a original stock or in the original box. I have decided to use it.

I think I will make a custom walnutstock for it in the future but until then I will use a Bell and Carlson stock I recently bought. I have installed pillars in it and I think the final bedding will be done in a qouple of weeks, I just need time. I look forward to shoot it :)

Blackjack, I can upload some pictures of it the coming weekend. Are you pleased with your rifle?

/Erik

Hello Peps {Erik},
Yes I am very pleased with my Sako .308 Win H.B. L579. My rifle barrel has a 1 in 12 twist, which is much better for the lighter bullets e.g. 110g & 125g. which I like to shoot. Sako do a light bullet but I can't remember the weight. It will be great to see your photographs.
Regards Blackjack AKA Mike {The Limey}
P.S. Can anyone remember when Sako changed the .308 Win 1 in 12 twist for the 1 in 10 twist?

Good to hear that you are satisfied with the L579. My Barrel for the L579 is also 1 in 12 twist but I have a sako M591 .308 from 1993 and that has 1 in 10 twist. I dont know when my L579 is built.

I usually use heavy bullets for hunting so I hope it will perform even with bullets around 185g.

Latest posts

Back