• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

Sako Rifles Afield (as intended)

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

There was a bull tramping around near the little village of Stonewall, Colorado in the summer of 2022. That's only 10 miles or so from the NM line, so sightings in NM are certainly possible.

Back when the big Yellowstone fires took place in the late 80's a wayward bull found his way to the Texas Panhandle.
From what I remember the moose sighting in NM was north of Chama near the CO border. I believe not to far north of there the last grizzly in CO was killed in 1979. On the other end of the state there have been jaguar sightings in southern NM.

I've talked to guides in the San Juan mountain area who swear there are still grizzlys there, and that the the locals keep quiet about it for fear of an avalance of 'endangered species' regulations coming down.

Interesting about the moose in TX.

I understand the Shiras moose aren't quite as good eating as the Alaskan variety? Not that I wouldn't love to take one.....

The "Grizzlies in the San Juans" stories have circulated for years. There is even an entire book on the subject. Some things like alleged hair samples left on barbed wire have been debated, but so far as anyone credible is aware, the San Juan grizzlies are in the same category as Sasquatch. However, the stories did inspire one woman I'm aware of to put tiny chain latches on the doors of a mountain cabin -- as if it made any difference to a grizzly whether a cabin door had a night latch screwed to the wooden door frame with two #6 brass screws a half-inch long.

I've hunted for years around Chama, both on the NM side and the CO side of the line. Seen plenty of elk, deer, and even some black bears, but moose have thus far evaded me. However, a one week trip once a year doesn't make me the most likely observer and it is totally possible that a moose shows up in the area from time to time. After all, it's a more likely place than the Texas Panhandle.

Great Photos fellows, but in my case dangerous area, Showed my den photos to a neighbor & his wife, guy said wow, wife said he's a huntin fool! My wife said " you got it half right!! I said nothing That's how you stay married 65 years! Nuff sait B/T

Attachments

• IMG_6609.jpg
    IMG_6609.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_6609.jpg
    IMG_6609.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 14
The "Grizzlies in the San Juans" stories have circulated for years. There is even an entire book on the subject. Some things like alleged hair samples left on barbed wire have been debated, but so far as anyone credible is aware, the San Juan grizzlies are in the same category as Sasquatch.

Perhaps, but the San Juans are a huge area with very few roads, so who knows. Here's an interesting discussion on the topic: https://www.glacier-national-park-t...bitat-yes-grizzly-bears-live-in-colorado.html
I've hunted for years around Chama, both on the NM side and the CO side of the line. Seen plenty of elk, deer, and even some black bears, but moose have thus far evaded me. However, a one week trip once a year doesn't make me the most likely observer and it is totally possible that a moose shows up in the area from time to time. After all, it's a more likely place than the Texas Panhandle.
Had a very big, cinnamon black bear run in front of my car north of Chama a while back.

Last edited:
Excerpt from the link:

Just yesterday I was talking to a fellow in the Colorado springs sportsmans wharehouse. His family owns a ranch west of Weston Colorado. An area known for having lots of black bears. In fact there’s a swa down there called Bosque del oso (forest of the bear). Anyway I love to bear hunt and know of this area. So I asked this guy how he did this year. Anyway out of curiosity I asked if he had ever heard of grizzly bears being spotted in the area. He got a little excited and pulled out his cell phone. His friend shot a bear that resembled a grizzly. He showed multiple pics of the bear. I consider myself an expert in distinguishing grizzly bears. I would say this bear with a 90% certainty, that it was a grizzly.

Oh sh*t. I bought some mountain property "west of Weston" just 18 months ago. Saw a big ole cinnamon-colored bear at a distance last summer. Hope my wife doesn't read this.

Maybe you’ve already addressed my question, but are the rabbits in the photos edible. Here where I’m at we basically have two varieties, Jacks and cotton tail. The Jacks are supposed to be stringy and tough, frankly I’ve not eaten one, but the smaller cotton tails are tasty. Just wondering how the Aus species are as table fare . Thanks

Maybe you’ve already addressed my question, but are the rabbits in the photos edible. Here where I’m at we basically have two varieties, Jacks and cotton tail. The Jacks are supposed to be stringy and tough, frankly I’ve not eaten one, but the smaller cotton tails are tasty. Just wondering how the Aus species are as table fare . Thanks

Yes, they make reasonably good table fare.
They are the introduced European Rabbit and are a major pest here when their populations boom.

As I understand it, jackrabbits are not actually rabbits; they are hares. I have never eaten hare either, but I understand they are inferior to rabbits as table fare.

Yes, they make reasonably good table fare.
They are the introduced European Rabbit and are a major pest here when their populations boom.
That’s like Nutria here. Only I wouldn’t eat one if you held a gun to my head. They were a fur bearer introduced for fur farming during the 1800’s. The market went belly up and they were released, only to survive and expand. Even my residential property gets invaded.

Eastern Cottontail Rabbit here .. tastes better than chicken 🍗
We have a small population of Snoeshoe Hare but I’ve never had the opportunity to hunt them or eat them.
I have also eaten farmed rabbit which is equally delicious..tho, once they are prepared, no one mentions their name again.🐇

Back