• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

Sako Riihimaki .222 Rem Info?

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

Trico rifles were made by Kriegeskorte & Co. in Stuttgart, Germany. Just google Trico rifles and all kinds of sites will pop up. Goggle your model number or name and specific info will appear.

Thanks for that information, Paulson! I've been a Krico enthusiast for years but had never run across one labeled "Trico". I'll be on the lookout for Tricos from now on.

Larry: Those set triggers are the cat's whiskers in my opinion, and Krico/Tricos are known for their accuracy. I simply love them. I have several Kricos and Steyrs, and a Brno and Anschutz with set triggers and delight in using them. I only wish someone made a double set trigger for Sakos. (I have seen at least one customized Sako with a double set trigger, but there are apparently a number of other set trigger enthusiasts out there with deeper pockets -- or at least pain tolerance -- than me and I was outbid when I tried to buy it.)

Is that Trico or Krico? I was only able to find a couple of references to "Trico" rifles online, and those were actually for Krico rifles. Krico rifles are made by A. Kriegeskorte Gmbh in Germany. They are of excellent quality. I own a Krico rifle, as do several other members of this forum. The trigger on your rifle is what is called a double-set trigger. As you have discovered, you set the trigger mechanism with the rear trigger and fire it with the front. Double set triggers are popular with German hunters. Many Steyr and Krico rifles have double-set triggers. They were once quite popular in the US as well, but now are seldom seen. A lot of Sharps single-shot rifles were made with double-set triggers, as are many modern reproductions. There is also what is called a single-set trigger; pushing the trigger forward sets it for a light let0ff.

If that Krico (Trico) .22 came from the same source as the Sako, it increases the likelihood that your Sako was customized in Germany. If you Google Krico, you will probably find images of .22 rifles like yours.

Is your .22 actually marked "Trico"? If so, please post a photo of the marking. I've never heard of the Trico brand before. In any case, please post photos of the rifle. There are several Krico fans on this forum who would love to see it.

O.K. Here's the scoop: I can't get a close-up of the logo right now because the guns are now up at the Gunsmith at my range for a quick clean & test-fire so I can get them out to the range myself. The logo LOOKS like it says Trico but could very well be Krico. As I stated earlier, the first letter looks more like a T than a K. Tough call. I do have some photos of the rifle which I have attached here. The barrel is stamped "Waffen-Bock, Frankfurt / M.". It may very well be that both guns (This and the Sako) come from the same place. They are both engraved with the name "Bill Martin" which I assume is the original owner. I will get a close-up shot of the logo when I get the guns back from the smith and send it out. You guys have been very helpful and I really appreciate all the help & in-put.

Attachments

• Kriko 1.jpg
    Kriko 1.jpg
    98 KB · Views: 34
  • Kriko 2.jpg
    Kriko 2.jpg
    114.7 KB · Views: 34
  • Kriko 3.jpg
    Kriko 3.jpg
    145.9 KB · Views: 32
  • Kriko 4.jpg
    Kriko 4.jpg
    131.1 KB · Views: 34
  • Kriko 5.jpg
    Kriko 5.jpg
    126.7 KB · Views: 35
  • Kriko 6.jpg
    Kriko 6.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 36
  • Kriko 7.jpg
    Kriko 7.jpg
    108.2 KB · Views: 36
Your .22 certainly looks like a Krico. When you get it back from the smith, check the action or barrel for the name A. Kriegeskorte. My Krico has a bullet-shaped Krico logo on the left side of the action. The K is funny-looking, but it's definitely a K. After the logo is A. Kriegeskorte GmbH Fürth W. Germany. Fürth is in Bavaria, just outside of Nürnberg. Waffen-Bock is a retailer of guns and hunting equipment in Frankfurt am Main, Germany. It is common practice in Germany for retailers to stamp guns with their names.

I think I've found the source of the Trico/Krico confusion. Looking closely at the barrel shank on the .22, it appears there is a circular Krico logo stamped into the metal between the receiver and the rear sight. I can't see it clearly, but I'll bet it looks something like the logo below. The K in Krico is rendered in a way that makes it look like a T. German orthography can get sort of weird, at least to a non-German eye. I've never seen that variation before, and I'm not even sure if the bar on top is part of the K or some kind of framing for the logo. In any case, that is an old Krico logo and your gun is obviously quite a bit older than mine.

Do let us know how it shoots. My guess would be very well indeed, if the stock wood has not warped so that the wood is exerting off-center pressure on the metal. If that has happened, your smith should be able to take care of it by removing a bit of wood here and there. I've had to scrape the barrel channel of my Krico a couple of times, but it appears to have stabilized.

Old Krico Logo 1.jpg Old Krico Logo 2.jpg

The confusion must be widespread as there are two "Trico" rifles for sale at two different on-line auctions. One is a 22 LR & the other is a centerfire. From the looks of that logo it's easy to see how people could misread it. Just another "gun quirk" that can't die, like calling a L46 a Riihimaki model???

Reactions: FLT
Icebear, I think you hit it on the head. The round logo you posted is exactly what I was seeing (Except on mine it was stamped into the barrel and not a "coin" tacked into the stock as the one you posted appears to be). The other difference I am seeing from what you wrote is on the right side of the action (if I remember correctly) it reads "Kriegeskorte & Co. Stuttgart" and not "A. Kriegeskorte GmbH Fürth W. Germany".
I do think you cracked the case and I con stop with the Trico nonsense. I will post some more photos and information when I get the rifle back from the smith. I also sent in that serial number for verification. The case is over but the saga continues. Stay tuned.

Correction; I sent in the serial # for the Sako and not the Kriko. Man, I'm getting confused.
And S A is correct. There are several sites listing "Trico" rifles for sale and posting pictures. I suspect they have ALL made the same mistake I made as most of what I saw looks very similar to my Kriko.

Reactions: FLT
Krico moved from Stuttgart to Fürth in 1987. I bought my rifle in Helsinki in 1991 or 1992.
Not to get TOO far off the subject but didn't the reunification formally take place in October 1990? When did the use of "West Germany" and "East Germany" cease?

Not to get TOO far off the subject but didn't the reunification formally take place in October 1990? When did the use of "West Germany" and "East Germany" cease?
I don't know the answer to that, but there is lag time on any change of tooling, and that rifle was likely built before reunification anyway. As I recall, I got a good deal on it because it had been sitting on the shelf for a while.

O.K. I finally got to shoot both of those rifles. I used what little .222 I had and shot hand held from a bench. No bench rest, no bag and apparently NO SKILL either. I shot a few from 50 yards and completely missed the paper. (8-1/2 x 11). I shot a couple more from 25 yds and completely missed again. Shot the rest (maybe 15 or so rounds left) from 10 yds. The grouped pretty nicely but obviously the site is way off. (see results attached). Missed Low & Left with entire group.
I didn't have any tools with me at the range. I figured out the windage adjustment when I got home but can't figure the elevation adjustment. I need some help. Didn't do so well with the Krico. Those sites need a little work as well. As do my shooting skills.

Attachments

• Target 01-15-20.jpg
    Target 01-15-20.jpg
    101.9 KB · Views: 13
The elevation should work like any other scope - just remove the cap and turn the knob. Most of the old scopes like that didn't even require a coin to turn the knob. The adjustment may be labeled in German - auf/zu or hoch/tief instead of up/down. If you're still having trouble, post a photo of the knob and we can help. It's the windage on those old European mounts that tends to confuse American shooters.

I think you got it. I tried turning the elevation adjustment while I was at the range. It was EXTREMELY tight and I didn't want to force it. I finally got it to turn when I got it home. Now I'm waiting for some ammo to show up so I can get it back to the range and try to work it out. The windage adjustment seemed pretty simple. There's an adjustment knob on the left side and a lock screw at the rear.

Attachments

• Windage.jpg
    Windage.jpg
    104 KB · Views: 16
Finally got some 222 cartridges and took this thing to the range. Borrowed a sled and got the site zeroed in as best as I could. Started shooting (without the sled) groups at 1-1/2" to 2" from 50 yards (which I thought was pretty good for a fat old blind guy like me). Not as good from 75 yds. It opened up to about 3-1/2" to 4". This is a fun gun to shoot. I wanted to thank you all again for all the help you guys provided.
Still working on getting the sites on the Krico straightened out.
P.S.: I'm still waiting on my response from when I submitted the Serial # on the Sako for analysis. How long does that typically take?

Up-Date: received an e-mail from Sako Collectors Club Factory Records Service this evening. My rifle is apparently an L-46 in .222 (as a barreled action-only), inspected on May 25, 1954 and booked for shipping to Rhein Main Rod & Gun Club on July 5th, 1954. It was on of 2 Sako L-46 caliber .222 rifles/barreled action in that shipment.

Latest posts

Back