• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

scope mounting with leoplold steel rings

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

This weekend I walked through a fairly large gun show looking for original sako items. Specifically looking for rings. I did not find a set. I told my son maybe I should buy a mill and start making scope rings for sakos similar to the originals.

Stone creek the leoupold rings have a taper milled into them on the bottom. So if they don't get installed correctly . . . .
Yes, I'm well aware. But Leupold made their rings with mounting screw heads on both left side and right side -- although all I've seen in recent production have been on the left. I assumed that those in the photo were simply right-side heads.

Obviously, one ring will have a narrower dovetail (for the rear) and the other a wider dovetail. I have seen people attempt to reverse these -- which doesn't work at all. Or they will have two sets and get both narrows together and both wides together. There is seemingly no end to ways to screw up something as simple and straight-forward as the Leupold ringmounts.

Here are a couple pictures for you to see the taper built in to the bottom. The instructions say to place them in the middle of each dovetail on the receiver. Have fun.

Attachments

• 20240212_175845.jpg
    20240212_175845.jpg
    87.4 KB · Views: 16
  • 20240212_175804.jpg
    20240212_175804.jpg
    147.2 KB · Views: 18
Thank you for taking the time to take this picture and send it to me. Very kind of you for sure. I was of course aware that the front is different from the rear but didnt realize that it mattered on which side the tightening piece of the ring was put. I will change the rings around and relap them. Thank you so much again.

Thank you for taking the time to take this picture and send it to me. Very kind of you for sure. I was of course aware that the front is different from the rear but didnt realize that it mattered on which side the tightening piece of the ring was put. I will change the rings around and relap them. Thank you so much again.
No problem hopefully it helps you out.

No problem hopefully it helps you out.
Say do you about the 6mm PPC. I see a couple advertised on line. They are models A 404, S491 and A 831. These are not full blown target rifles with fiberglass stocks made for real serious competition. That is a comittment I am not prepared to make at this point. I know one can sink serious money in the 6mm PPC hobby.
The A 404 is shown on Guns International and has a M.A.C. barrel?? it just sort of ooozes accuracy. It's in my price range and already has a decent scope mounted. What do ya tink?

Say do you about the 6mm PPC. I see a couple advertised on line. They are models A 404, S491 and A 831. These are not full blown target rifles with fiberglass stocks made for real serious competition. That is a comittment I am not prepared to make at this point. I know one can sink serious money in the 6mm PPC hobby.
The A 404 is shown on Guns International and has a M.A.C. barrel?? it just sort of ooozes accuracy. It's in my price range and already has a decent scope mounted. What do ya tink?
The S491is a model number. The A404 & the A831 are serial numbers on the single shot target model AI's in 6 PPC.

Just curious what is different with a 6mm ppc vs a 6mm Remington. I guess I could look in the reloading manual.
Entirely different cases. They happen to shoot the same diameter bullet, just like the .243 or any other 6mm bore. The PPC is based on the .220 Russian case, which is in turn derived from the 7.62x39 military cartridge; while the 6mm Remington (nee .244 Remington) is necked down from a 7x57 ("7mm Mauser") case.

The S491is a model number. The A404 & the A831 are serial numbers on the single shot target model AI's in 6 PPC.
Thank you for that info. I think the 6mm PPC will be my next purchace and since I am not intrested in the full blown custom version a semi custom or stock SAKO 6mm PPC is what I am looking for. So I guess I am looking for a S491? Thanks

Thank you for that info. I think the 6mm PPC will be my next purchace and since I am not intrested in the full blown custom version a semi custom or stock SAKO 6mm PPC is what I am looking for. So I guess I am looking for a S491? Thanks
Sako made several rifles chambered in 6 PPC. The first, in the late 1980's, were built on the AI action. The heavy barreled single shot target version with the externally adjustable target trigger had a special serial number sequence that started with an A, B, or C followed by three numbers. They also built the 6 PPC on the AI standard sporter repeater model using the same serial number sequence as all the other AI's. The 91 series replaced the A series rifles in 1992. The S491 is the short action. It was offered in 6 PPC in the standard sporter repeater with no special serial numbers. I don't know if it was made in the Varmint version with the heavy barrel or not, but I'm pretty sure Sako didn't make it in the single shot target version. Other members here can probably tell us more. So, if you want a standard sporter in 6 PPC an AI or a S491 would be your two options. Sako also made these same variants chambered in 22 PPC.

Sako made several rifles chambered in 6 PPC. The first, in the late 1980's, were built on the AI action. The heavy barreled single shot target version with the externally adjustable target trigger had a special serial number sequence that started with an A, B, or C followed by three numbers. They also built the 6 PPC on the AI standard sporter repeater model using the same serial number sequence as all the other AI's. The 91 series replaced the A series rifles in 1992. The S491 is the short action. It was offered in 6 PPC in the standard sporter repeater with no special serial numbers. I don't know if it was made in the Varmint version with the heavy barrel or not, but I'm pretty sure Sako didn't make it in the single shot target version. Other members here can probably tell us more. So, if you want a standard sporter in 6 PPC an AI or a S491 would be your two options. Sako also made these same variants chambered in 22 PPC.
Thanks for this information, certainly will be helpful in my search !

Thanks for this information, certainly will be helpful in my search !
You might want to check this one out…

As with any online exchange…proceed with caution .
The gentleman appears to be legit , tho his editing could use a little work 🤔

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back