• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

Triple E wax from OZ

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

paulsonconstruction

Sako-addicted
Occasionally there are posts asking about what to use to refresh or help protect a wood gunstock & a few waxes or oils are mentioned, so I thought I might add another to the list. A local woodworking/wood turner I know turned me on to this product. He uses it on his lathe turned wood projects, like bowls. While it's turning in the lathe he applies the stuff to the bare wood & builds it up till it actually is the finish, not just a wax over a finish. It has some micro abrasives in it & polishes out to a brilliant finish if so desired. Seals pores & makes ducks look like amateurs at shedding water. Comes from the Land of Oz, so our Aussie members may be familiar with it. I have tried it on multiple types of finishes & both hand buffed it with a terry cloth & used an orbital buffer with wonderful results. Makes minor scratches disappear on the glossy stocks with the buffer. Gives a nice luster to the softer finishes. Comes in a big 250 ml jar & you need to stir it first. Works great on all your wood furniture as well. This stuff is more than just a wax. Readily available on line. Got mine off Amazon.

EEE.jpg

Can you tell us what the ingredients are--besides Stoddard Solvent? Does it contain any silicone?

Last edited:
I agree wholeheartedly with your assessment Paulson. I have used it for knife making for years. Mainly as finnish on handle scales but on my Sako stocks as well and never used anything like it. Easy to apply with very quick results when polished on a buffing wheel, but still better than most when applied by hand.

Here is one formula some might like to try. Take PURE turpentine [ not mineral turpentine] and dissolve shavings of beeswax into it until saturated. Then add pure tung oil [ oil from the Tung nut ] NOT the product called Tung oil, which is mixed with various inc poly. Mix to a light or creamy consistency and apply the first few coats by hand by sanding it into the stock with a 400 grit or better wet and dry. Leave till dry - it will take time - and repeat at least 3 or 4 times. Then buff - and in quality timber will give a real depth and angle shift to the grain. Absolutely waterproof - even to boiling water - and feels wonderful under the hand as well. Avoid sanding the checkering as it will decrease the sharpness and consequent hold and grip. I wont use use any other method myself - but also I don't mind taking the time to do 6 or 7 coats. Also easily touched up if it eventually starts to wear. Try it on a piece of timber first other than your prize stock to see if you like it. Each successive coat takes longer to dry so it requires a bit of patience.

Back