• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

What rifles other than sako's do you hunt with?

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

Thanks guys,

Asking price would be the most I have ever spent. 2600. Which in the realm of current prices, isn't bad, especially considering the quality. Add in a set of EAW [email protected]. If I pass, I'll share contact info. I'm nice like that...;)

For a Luxus grade Steyr, in an uncommon caliber, with the scope and mounts described, I'd have to call that a bargain, even though it's a lot of money.

Personal all-purpose hunting rifle:
BRNO ZKK600 30-06 made in 1966 (1st year of production)
Pop-up Rear Peep Sight, Barrel Band Sling Swivel, Single-Set Trigger
Schmidt & Bender 6X Klassic 1 in. Scope w/ 4-A Reticle in Talley Q-D rings
7 lb. 4 oz. w/o Scope.

SI7Pkpg.jpg

4DLBFNt.jpg

4ScbfNz.jpg

X0IxV3n.jpg

4ICkkPw.jpg

Is that a 200 or a 202? Years ago I had a 200 in 6.5x57 that was so accurate it was almost boring. A friend talked me into selling it, but I still remember it as one of the most accurate rifles I ever owned.

Its a 200. I am glad that people dont know or appreciate how well built and balanced these 200/202 rifles are so dont get into bidding wars when come up for sale! I have had alot of precision bolt actions, the last one costing $4300 new and it didnt shoot anywhere as precise as this Sauer. There is something they do to the steel that makes them hold poa when the bbl is very hot. I saw a video from the factory where some us gun rag writers were given a tour and had them shoot a 30 cal mod 101 200 times in a row at the test range. 10 boxes of ammo! gun was smokin hot and held an inch. Sauer dosent even advertise that all their top rifles are guaranteed to shoot no more than an inch with any decent factory ammo. And thats 5 shots not 3 usa specs. I live by PacNor and a friend was one of their barrel makers for 8 yrs. I showed him my rifle and and he said nice but those hammer forged barrels go wonky once they get hot. yeah right!

The only other rifle I have found that can do repeated accurate shooting is my little 1978 Sako 223 sporter. Best group so far is 5x .13.

Sauer dosent even advertise that all their top rifles are guaranteed to shoot no more than an inch with any decent factory ammo. And thats 5 shots not 3 usa specs.
Sako makes much the same guarantee with their 85s. They claim that each is shot with factory ammunition and doesn't go out for sale unless it produces a 5-shot 1" or better group at 100 yards.

I've owned a number of Sauer bolt-action rifles over the years, but all were the earlier models made on the Sauer 80 action--labeled Sauer 80, Sauer 90, and Colt-Sauer. I had them in .270 Win., 7 Rem. Mag., 300 Win. Mag., 8x68S Schüler, and 9.3x64 Brenneke. They were beautiful rifles and all excellent shooters capable of far-better than MOA accuracy with my handloads. After shooting the 9.3x64, I decided to use the barreled action as the basis for an all-out custom rifle, built by Ed LaPour, who did extensive metal work (adding a quarter-rib and completely re-doing the bottom metal) and Bruce Farman, who restocked it adding a leather-covered recoil pad. It was my dangerous-game rifle and accounted for two grizzlies. With it's original Sauer barrel (which I retained in the custom work), it shot 300-grain Swift A-Frame bullets at 2550 fps into an inch at 100 yards.

7s8rW8L.jpg

Last edited:
Over 30 yrs. ago, I found an ad in a gunlist periodical from Cape Outfitters in Findlay,Ohio. They were closing out their stock of 200 Sauer rifles. From what I had read they were somewhat well recieved. I picked up the phone and ordered a long action with a .308 barrel. The guys at the gunshop where it needed to be shipped to , were just "giddy" when I showed up to pick it up and do the transfer for the fed. The fit and finish and the wood furnishing was just great. By the time I fiddled and fussed and finally learned to love the rifle, all of their barrel stock was depleted. Took over 5 years to find a 7X64 Brenneke barrel and I cost nearly as much as the rifle did, years before. I was still favoring my old friend and hunting partner, Sako .308, so I gave the rifle and extra barrel to my oldest boy. I don't remember it having a barrel like Tesoros. Mine was round and smooth....both of them.

I Bought that bbl from a fellow who wanted metrics. Its off the next model 202 lightweight. Yes they only had full bbl’s on the 200’s.

You can also buy an adapter (where bolt locks into bbl) and then chamber and thread on any chambering of your choice as long as matches bolt face. Bbl needs to be custom contoured.

Given the just-previous references to gun manufacturers’ accuracy guarantees, I have to say that I find them pretty much meaningless. Anschutz shoots their test groups with the barreled action clamped into a machine rest. For those shot by a shooter with an assembled rifle—and presumably Sako and Sauer are in this category—what do the test groups and the accuracy guarantee really signify? The company shooter can try a number of different factory ammunition samples, shoot the groups in a bright and windless tunnel with a 36-power scope mounted and eventually get a sub-MOA group when the shooter’s wiggles coincide with his wobbles just perfectly allowing him to lay down that single sub-MOA group needed to back up the guarantee. Does this really tell us anything about the rifle’s true inherent accuracy? Absolutely not. I’d imagine that just about any factory rifle could produce one sub-MOA group if shot enough from an optimal benchrest setup under perfect conditions with enough different ammunition, and a number of rifle-makers trot out these potentially misleading guarantees. Basically marketing horse pucky and not much else.

Beg to differ! A straight and true rifle is what you want as the guarantee, with the barrel being a critical part of the formula. My gunsmith has a bin full of new takeoff barrels that are scrap metal. The guarantee is the gun will shoot precisely and accurately 5x. Whether the shooter can is not their concern!

Beg to differ! A straight and true rifle is what you want as the guarantee, with the barrel being a critical part of the formula. My gunsmith has a bin full of new takeoff barrels that are scrap metal. The guarantee is the gun will shoot precisely and accurately 5x. Whether the shooter can is not their concern!
But do you know the actual process used by Sauer to validate the accuracy guarantee? Unless we know this, it's impossible to attribute any credibility to the claim. Sure the barrel is a key factor as you note, but even a mediocre barrel will occasionally throw out a MOA group. A gunmaker simply posting a MOA claim is no guarantee that his products will actually deliver on that claim, and if they don't, and the new owner complains about poor accuracy, the gunmaker will simply say that the gun was capable, but the shooter wasn't.:(

Last edited:
Very nice app (BallisticX). I watched the video & readings depend on the placing on center of impact & not edges to avoid miscalculation as it is not as precise as a ruler. There seems to be some distortion as points can move when they are being placed on image/photo and it appears the circles are larger than the caliber.
Just an observation as I compliment your groups.

I have been playing with it and learned that you need to be precise on setting the scale of 1 inch. You can mic your pasty or whatever to see where to measure for an exact inch. You can then zoom in on your bullet hole to place the circle. Note it has legs so the circle dosent match the hole dia. I've had the best luck getting nice round holes when I use a foam filled plastic sign board as the backer on top of my plywood target stand. I was getting the 2x3ft boards at dollar store but they have bene out for a while. I also get heavy weight cardstock printer paper to stick the pastys on to. Thats what the green is. IMG_3316.jpg

Back