• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

Will Eyepiece & Objective on 28mm -> 33mm Scopes Clear? New L579 (AII) + Sako Original "Low" Rings

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

sakoseeker

Just picked up a new AII Mannlicher in .308 with Sako original "Low" rings. I want to keep the rifle trim and avoid running "Medium" rings, high power scopes, and/or non-Sako ring mounts. Will the eyepiece & objective on any current 28mm -> 33mm scopes clear the bolt handle and barrel when using Sako original "Low" ring mounts? What about those with 36mm objectives? Leupold seems to use trim eyepieces that allow low mounting and I am currently leaning towards the VX-3 if it will fit. Anyone have first hand experience to share? Trying to include/exclude scope options from my list.

Possible Scope Options:
Leupold FX-II 4x33
Leupold Ultralight VX-II 2-7x28
Leupold VX-3 1.75-6x32
Valdada 4x32 Hunting Scope
Minox ZA 5 1.5-8x32
Schmidt & Bender 4x36 (If I can find a used one)
Zeiss Conquest 4x32 (If I can find one - discontinued)
Zeiss Conquest 2-8x32 (If I can find one - discontinued)

The box for the original Sako split ring mounts list the following measurements from the bottom of the base to the bottom of the ring: Low (3/32"), Medium (5/16"), High (15/32"). Many thanks!

Last edited:
First, I think you're dead right to mount the scope as low as possible. This is not quite so important with the A-II and its slightly higher comb, but a low-mounted scope is advantageous in most ways.

I've just gotton through mounting a couple of scopes on L579's with original Sako low ringmounts. Here's what I find:

1. You'll have no problem with the ocular clearing the bolt handle on an A-II. Some of the earliest L579's used a more sharply curved handle that could interfere with a low scope.

2. The size objective that will clear will depend on how long the scope is and where the objective bell ends up relative to the taper above the chamber. If the scope is short (like a Leupold 2-7x), then a 28mm bell is the largest which will fit over the fat part of the chamber. If a scope is long (think the older conventional 4x scopes), then a 32mm will clear since it sits over the more slender part of the barrel.

3. Here are the scopes that I have mounted on an L579 or L57 in low original mounts: Leupold 2-7 Vari-X II (28mm objective); Leupold 2-7X Compact (28mm objective); Leupold 4x old style M8 (28mm objective); Redfield (Denver) 4x 32mm objective.

4. The Leupold VX-3 1.75-6x32, even in its "extended scope tube" model is still a pretty short scope and I'm not sure it would clear the barrel. The current Leupold fixed 4x is somewhat shorter and has a larger objective than the old M8, so I'm not certain how it might fit, either.

5. Some 36mm objectives might clear if mounted fairly far forward.

6. I'm not familiar with any of the scopes you list other than the Leupolds, so can't comment directly on them. However, my observation has been that European scopes tend to have rather large power rings (on variables) and are offer a bit less latitude in mounting positions than Leupolds.

Hope this is of some help.

Appreciate the assist! I can now confirm that neither the ocular nor the objective will clear a VX-3 1.75-6x32 when mounted using low Sako original ring mounts. I don't think the 4x33 or VX-II 2-7x33 will clear either as they share the same 1.6" ocular diameter. I have a VX-II 2-7x28 on order now to try out.

Also, I can confirm that a 3-9x40 Zeiss Conquest with medium Sako original ring mounts will clear and fits nicely w/o much excess elevation.

I just rechecked some of my mounts/scopes. I have one Leupold 4x M8 mounted in low original Sako rings on an L579. If you withdraw the bolt to its extreme, then push it upward and inward, you can make it rub against the ocular housing. I have another one with an old Denver Redfield 4x which can't be made to rub, but the Redfield has a very slightly smaller ocular housing. The VX-II 2-7x28 you've ordered should mount okay in the low Sako rings, but its objective will sit right over the fattest part of the barrel and will be pretty close. Also, you may need to move the front ring a bit rearward on the front dovetail to assure that you can place the scope far enough to the rear.

I don't know if you've run into a problem with the position of the rear ring on the old Sako mount. It had a small lug which fits in a corresponding recess at the rear of the dovetail which holds it in a stationary position. Sometimes, particularly with variables which have large power rings, this forces the scope too far to the rear. Nothing is harmed if you grind this little lug off of the rear ring base to allow it to position further forward. The tapered dovetail system, when mounted properly, negates any potential forward movement of the scope rings, anyway.

It is interesting just how very low the old low rings were, particularly considering how excessively tall even the lowest of the current Optilock series is.

Another update for the reference archive...I tried out all of these scopes in person and none would clear when using original Sako low ring mounts on an L579/AII action:

1. Leupold FX-II 4x33*
2. Leupold FX-II 6x36
3. Leupold VX-3 1.75-6x32
4. IOR Valdada 4x32 Hunting Scope

However, after giving up on the 'lows' and switching to original Sako 'mediums', I learned that a Swarovski Z3 3-10x42 fits perfect with minimal wasted space. Not quite as lean a package as I wanted but not bad either. Scopes with ~20mm objectives didn't resolve anything either as the large eyepieces won't clear the bolt. Too bad nobody makes those long tubed fixed powers anymore.

Hope this helps someone out!

*The Leupold FX-II 4x33 might work for folks who are comfortable with the bolt being able to make some glancing contact with the eyepiece when it's retracted. However the tube is short and forward/aft movement needed to get correct eye relief is extremely limited.

Freerange- They do seem like they were just made for the Finnwolf. Best fit I can get with some of my scopes are with them on a Finnwolf. Takes Mediums for the same on a Forester or Vixen.-Misako

Sure...

Full View:
49e21293.jpg

Ocular Clearance:
9b719648.jpg

Objective Clearance:
195ae453.jpg

No signs of scope:barrel contact upon firing and the front sight hood does not appear in the field of view when in a shooting position. Scope:barrel clearance is .003" (.0762 mm). Hope this helps!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back