• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

Wyoming plains

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

Hello from the high plains of Wyoming. I have always wanted a SAKO rifle. As a gunsmith, I see a lot of different rifles come through. SAKOs are definitely some of the nicest riles around. I just acquired a Finnbear L61R in 300 Win Mag. It has a custom stock with beautiful wood and a precision Douglas barrel. Not quite stock but hoping to learn more about it any way. Serial No in the very low 50000 range. Any thoughts?

Sako had a "numbering change" after the first 90 some thousand L61Rs,which was SN1 to 90954, in 1974 that started with 500001. They also had the 50th anniversary numbered 1 to 1001, then a special numbering of in 1973 from 1 to 509 & a magnum special numbering from 509 to 537. They also had the the 70th anniversary model that was numbered 910001 to 910070, then "common numbering" in 1991 starting with 800519. Sako did not produce rifles in sequential order with the serial numbers, to add to the confusion. Just trying to illustrate that Sako serial numbers are a completely different animal than the meticulous serial number records that other gun makers kept. So, the serial number by itself doesn't give us much detailed info about any particular rifle. Your action was from a time when Sako offered their action in the white for sale ( Brownell's use to sell them) & many a custom rifle was built on them. Very likely yours is one of those. Welcome to our club!!

Sako had a "numbering change" after the first 90 some thousand L61Rs,which was SN1 to 90954, in 1974 that started with 500001. They also had the 50th anniversary numbered 1 to 1001, then a special numbering of in 1973 from 1 to 509 & a magnum special numbering from 509 to 537. They also had the the 70th anniversary model that was numbered 910001 to 910070, then "common numbering" in 1991 starting with 800519. Sako did not produce rifles in sequential order with the serial numbers, to add to the confusion. Just trying to illustrate that Sako serial numbers are a completely different animal than the meticulous serial number records that other gun makers kept. So, the serial number by itself doesn't give us much detailed info about any particular rifle. Your action was from a time when Sako offered their action in the white for sale ( Brownell's use to sell them) & many a custom rifle was built on them. Very likely yours is one of those. Welcome to our club!!
Thanks for that. I was thinking since it was a 50,000 serial number that it was a mid-60's model. I has the engraved Finnbear stock grip cap that ID's it as such. Any more thoughts with that in mind?

50,000 would put it in the 60's, but knowing the exact date is guess work. Unfortunately our Factory Records Service only has data up to SN 48,900. The "Bofors Steel" stamp on the right side of the barrel was dropped around 1968, so if yours has it or doesn't would tell you what side of 68 it was made. When you say "engraved" grip cap, do you mean a contrasting wood cap with a white Bear's head inlay? If so, that sounds like a Deluxe stock. Pictures would tells us what you have much easier. Sako didn't "engrave" grip caps, so I'm a little confused.

50,000 would put it in the 60's, but knowing the exact date is guess work. Unfortunately our Factory Records Service only has data up to SN 48,900. The "Bofors Steel" stamp on the right side of the barrel was dropped around 1968, so if yours has it or doesn't would tell you what side of 68 it was made. When you say "engraved" grip cap, do you mean a contrasting wood cap with a white Bear's head inlay? If so, that sounds like a Deluxe stock. Pictures would tells us what you have much easier. Sako didn't "engrave" grip caps, so I'm a little confused.
Thanks again for the reply. It turns out that this was either a custom build off an early action or one that had been nicely rebuilt. It has a Douglas premium barrel (so no forging marks) and a metal engraved grip cap. I will attach pics when I can them on here.

Jelwyoming
Welcome to the forum . . . you have a very nice custom rifle. The receiver is Sako and the rest is custom. You may want to look on your barrel for the maker of your barrel.

Back