• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

L61R 375

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

koeni

Hi all

I am looking at buying a "brand new" L61R with serial number 441XX. Now when I say "brand new", I mean the guy who first bought it never fired it, and long story short, it is still at a dealer. Does not have one mark on it.

It fells quite light, but I want to use it as a guide rifle when taking out tourists in the reserves here in South Africa, so a lighter gun might be better, since it will hopefully not be shot too often in these scenarios.

My question is this: is it a good gun or are there some issues from these models that I need to know about regarding the 375? I know all Sako's are good, but some are better than other. I love Sako's and can pick this one up for about $1200.

Would love to hear what you think.

Regards

Since you did not state the barrel length, I assume it is a standard length. Most guide guns are of the preferred shorter barrel lengths but if a longer standard barrel length would be suitable for you, go for it. You will be more than satisfied with it in any event. The Sako rifles of that serial number vintage are of the finest quality in my opinion. Sakojim.

Hi all

I am looking at buying a "brand new" L61R with serial number 441XX. Now when I say "brand new", I mean the guy who first bought it never fired it, and long story short, it is still at a dealer. Does not have one mark on it.

It fells quite light, but I want to use it as a guide rifle when taking out tourists in the reserves here in South Africa, so a lighter gun might be better, since it will hopefully not be shot too often in these scenarios.

My question is this: is it a good gun or are there some issues from these models that I need to know about regarding the 375? I know all Sako's are good, but some are better than other. I love Sako's and can pick this one up for about $1200.

Would love to hear what you think.

Regards
Echoing Sakojim, great rifle. No issues in.375. Price is fair assuming condition is as stated.

Question: does it have iron sights. Most folks including friends and colleagues ( who hunt Africa and Alaska) prefer them as a back up to a compact scope with a quick detach set up. Not a deal breaker, but perhaps advisable.

An L61R .375 from that era is an excellent rifle, and the price sounds very attractive for the South African market.

The only caution is to be sure that the action screws are fully tight before shooting it. Older wood shrinks and swells, so the action screws can become loose over time. With a heavy-recoiling round like the .375 loose actions screws can let the action move enough to crack the stock. I like to make the front screw as tight as practical with a well-fitted screw driver. The rear screw should be snug, but not "squeaky" tight.

Since you did not state the barrel length, I assume it is a standard length. Most guide guns are of the preferred shorter barrel lengths but if a longer standard barrel length would be suitable for you, go for it. You will be more than satisfied with it in any event. The Sako rifles of that serial number vintage are of the finest quality in my opinion. Sakojim.

Thanks. Yeah I assume it is a standard length and I understand why some prefer a shorter barrel, but it looks so good... And it's a Sako...

Echoing Sakojim, great rifle. No issues in.375. Price is fair assuming condition is as stated.

Question: does it have iron sights. Most folks including friends and colleagues ( who hunt Africa and Alaska) prefer them as a back up to a compact scope with a quick detach set up. Not a deal breaker, but perhaps advisable.

Yes is does have iron sights, and maybe I am just trying to convince myself, but if I pick it up and mount it with my eyes closed, the iron sights line up perfectly...

Regarding the condition, my first Sako was in almost the exact condition (my father-in-law shot about 10 shots with it), so looked it up and down at all angles and could not see a single mark on the gun.

An L61R .375 from that era is an excellent rifle, and the price sounds very attractive for the South African market.

The only caution is to be sure that the action screws are fully tight before shooting it. Older wood shrinks and swells, so the action screws can become loose over time. With a heavy-recoiling round like the .375 loose actions screws can let the action move enough to crack the stock. I like to make the front screw as tight as practical with a well-fitted screw driver. The rear screw should be snug, but not "squeaky" tight.

Thanks Stonecreek. If I do get it, I would be sure to check the screws and make sure! Appreciate the advice.

Yes is does have iron sights, and maybe I am just trying to convince myself, but if I pick it up and mount it with my eyes closed, the iron sights line up perfectly...

Regarding the condition, my first Sako was in almost the exact condition (my father-in-law shot about 10 shots with it), so looked it up and down at all angles and could not see a single mark on the gun.
Seems like an awesome opportunity to own another great quality rifle. Having the irons as part of the package is a real bonus in my opinion.

One more thing, the gun looks like the image attached. Am I correct when I say this is the deluxe edition and does t change the value much?

Attachments

• sako l61 r.jpg
    sako l61 r.jpg
    89.2 KB · Views: 55
I'll say! Yes, that is a Deluxe, which generally brings around 50% more than a standard rifle. L61R's in that serial number range are generally from 1969 and 1970, meaning it will have the desirable (but not necessarily better) three lug action. In my opinion it is a screaming bargain.

Off topic, it you say you are a guide. Why a 375?

I spend a lot of time on a website called “24hourcampfire” and all the rage over there is 6.5 Creedmoor. Why wouldn’t that work?

One more thing, the gun looks like the image attached. Am I correct when I say this is the deluxe edition and does t change the value much?
Wow.... I hope you’ve taken the steps to procure the rifle without delay. It would be unfortunate to lose it as it would be highly sought after if the word gets out. Good luck.

I spend a lot of time on a website called “24hourcampfire” and all the rage over there is 6.5 Creedmoor. Why wouldn’t that work?
I like your sense of humor. I don’t own one as I have been a 7.62x51 guy since forever, when it comes to light tactical rifles.

Having said that, 6.5 is now a recognized US Military cartridge available in a few platforms. It was tested side by side and the Military holds the cartridge in high regard. In short order it may be a NATO round. Take care.

Last edited:

LOL. I am not a guide, but in the process of doing my advanced rifle handling course, for two reasons. To become a part time guide and take tourists on walks in mainly the Kruger National Park and surrounding parks, and also to assist a friend that works in the KNP as a scientist who needs someone armed with them most of the time. I live on the border of the KNP and spend a lot of time there.

Why a 375 and not a 6.5Cm you ask... Well tough to say really. I really like the 6.5CM, but I told my wife I need a 375 for the job so I am sticking with that story ;)

I am regret to inform you that I am still waiting for the dealer and owner to get back to me regarding my offer. Now, I want your advice again. There is a special for a new Sako 85 hunter 375H&H.

Would you take this 1969-1970 model L61R deluxe for around $1100-1200 or would you take a new Sako 85 Hunter for around $1500?

I am regret to inform you that I am still waiting for the dealer and owner to get back to me regarding my offer. Now, I want your advice again. There is a special for a new Sako 85 hunter 375H&H.

Would you take this 1969-1970 model L61R deluxe for around $1100-1200 or would you take a new Sako 85 Hunter for around $1500?
Easy answer, if both we’re side by side I’d grab the Deluxe all day long, based on all the above posts from knowledgeable and experienced members. Vintage Deluxe rifles are always desired and in .375 it’s an easy choice in my opinion.

The 85 is a pretty fair price (in US dollars) and a good modern rifle. But it lacks the mystique, character and overall quality of the vintage rifle. Nothing wrong with the 85 however, they just simply aren’t the same.

Maybe you should up the ante slightly to see if you can speed up the process on the Deluxe.

Good luck.

Last edited:
Easy answer, if both we’re side by side I’d grab the Deluxe all day long, based on all the above posts from knowledgeable and experienced members. Vintage Deluxe rifles are always desired and in .375 it’s an easy choice in my opinion.

The 85 is a pretty fair price (in US dollars) and a good modern rifle. But it lacks the mystique, character and overall quality of the vintage rifle. Nothing wrong with the 85 however, they just simply aren’t the same.

Maybe you should up the ante slightly to see if you can speed up the process on the Deluxe.

Good luck.
Thanks Sean. I am also leaning towards the vintage...

The dealer is notoriously slow (half dead) old guy who does not need the money and only keeps himself busy by sellings guns on behalf of other people. I have been there about 10 times and the last time he took my number to give to the owner. Maybe the owner lost it or forgot, but I went there again today to remind him. Next week I will go ask for the owner's number. I have read some worrying things about the 85 hunter. As if Sako has lowered their standard. Can any of the knowledgeable guys help me on this one.

Latest posts

Back