• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

What rifles other than sako's do you hunt with?

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

Hello Marcus,

A friend of mine has a Parker/Hale "Safari" .243 Win. that was made in the early 1960's. Very accurate with iron Sights, and I think the barrel length is 22 inchs. P/H sold many of these rifles. The walnut stock is fantastic, will you have It chequered?

Blackjack

Old thread, but I'm new here... There are some great guns in this thread. Enjoyed the pictures. My collection is modest but it beats the hell out of throwing rocks.;)

Ruger 77 in .308 with a bedding and trigger job. Not a sub MOA gun, but 1.25 isn't bad for a well used hunting rifle. This gun isn't fussy about what I feed it. The point of impact and group size is consistent from load to load, even using different bullet weights.

TC Icon in .243 w/ a 24" barrel. This is my 15 Y/O sons gun. No modifications. Consistently sub MOA. Most groups are around .75. Can go .5 with good conditions. Love it when a gun performs right out of the box. The 24" barrel in a .243 was a nice touch by TC.

TC Icon in .270. The .243 shot so good that I bought this one a week later. It's consistently sub MOA too, but it took some tweaking to get it there. Too bad TC discontinued the ICON line of rifles. Fit and finish are nice and the guns are accurate. They spent some time and thought putting these guns together. It's disappointing to see a well thought out package get kicked to the curb.

CZ 550 in 22-250 heavy barrel varmint gun. This one gives me fits. I've spent a lot of time with different load combinations with minimal success. 1.5 MOA is the norm on a good day. About ready top scrap it or send it to a smith to have it looked over. Everything tells me this gun should shoot except the actual results.

I got some other stuff, but the above is what gets used most.

Hunting rifles: formerly Husqvarna, then Kimber Montana 8400, back to HVA now..
1688Deer_04_1_1.jpg

1784.JPG

Last edited:
Well I've not hunted here in NC yet, but have learned that with the thick brush in our forest lands.. big bullets work best. A year or so ago I bought a Remington model 8 from a local that needed some work. It is a 35 Remington and legend has it that these will take Black Bear. Well I haven't a taste for Black Bear, but do like pork... so may try to get a pig hunt going at some point. Think the model 8 will do the job. http://24.172.105.90/guns/remington/model 8/index.html

Oh to be young again. But those days are gone forever. Now I'm lucky to hit the target. Fantastic pics. Gives me great enjoyment seeing them. Thanks very much for sharing.

rick

Shotguns are great as well. Here is an extremely early centerfire, outside primed shotgun made in 1866. It was made by George Daw in England. It is always much more fun to own guns that can still be used in the field...

Turkeys2014a.jpg

Turkeys2014e.jpg

100_0175_zps04d3fa5c.jpg

DSCN1391.jpg

100_0171_zps309788cc.jpg

100_0170_zpsd8ca1b03.jpg

Living in western New York opening day deer season can be rubbish weather wise, therefore the 30 year old Weatherby fiber stock in .270 win. A friend asked me if it was stainless and I told him "no the bluing is just gone". I had to replace the factory trigger with a Timney which was a huge improvement. I let another friend borrow it on the last hunt of the season this year and he got his first deer. Screen Shot 2017-02-14 at 7.34.01 PM.png Screen Shot 2017-02-14 at 7.36.29 PM.png Just can't bring myself to take the pretty ones and beat 'em up.

Ruger No. 1 in 7 mm Rem Mag for Wyoming Mule deer hunts. Haven’t had luck yet but the country sure is pretty.
ab9bfa0c23767be8313dfb83b823879b.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ironically, when I lived in Finland I hunted moose with a German-built Krico 700 in .30-06. Picked it up on a closeout at a good price, while all the dealers in Helsinki were selling Sako and Tikka rifles at full list price. I haven't been hunting in years, but I still have the Krico. It's quite accurate for the first two shots, then the pencil barrel starts to heat up and it wanders. But if you haven't gotten your moose with two rounds, it's gone anyway.

Krico 1.JPG

Back in Virginia I went deer hunting a couple of times with a custom Winchester 94, but never got anything. The stock is Rosewood.

Win94-1.JPG
Win 94 Stock 3.JPG

In South Texas, we (I & ranch) usually use Rem VLS in 7MM-08 or .308 on large bodied White tail bucks & 22-250, 220 Swifts for doe harvest as large volume harvest(2,166 deer last 8 seasons) under management plan and all the wild hogs and coyotes . My scope reticle preference is the modified German Post with an add'l line underneath for longer shots. Usually carry a couple of milled solids for pass throughs on coyotes or hogs if able to line them up. Photo of Sako Safari .300 Win Mag on elk hunt. Considering switching to Barnes TSX all copper bullets, but not until field proven as no need to track a humanely dispatched animal. Rem VLS 7mm-08 Comm.JPG Sako Safari 300 elk.JPG Modified German Post.JPG 140gr Milled Solid.jpg

In South Texas, we (I & ranch) usually use Rem VLS in 7MM-08 or .308 on large bodied White tail bucks & 22-250, 220 Swifts for doe harvest as large volume harvest(2,166 deer last 8 seasons) under management plan and all the wild hogs and coyotes . My scope reticle preference is the modified German Post with an add'l line underneath for longer shots. Usually carry a couple of milled solids for pass throughs on coyotes or hogs if able to line them up. Photo of Sako Safari .300 Win Mag on elk hunt. Considering switching to Barnes TSX all copper bullets, but not until field proven as no need to track a humanely dispatched animal.View attachment 22075 View attachment 22077 View attachment 22081 View attachment 22082
Is that scope that canted or is it just the picture?

Latest posts

Back